New member, new smoker, new jersey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

themadsmoker

Original poster
Apr 6, 2018
just joined the site after reading through a lot of info. Been smoking for years on a charbroil offset smoker. Started deer hunting this year and figured I’d need a few new toys to try my hand at some venison sausage. Bought a master built elite 44 propane smoker among other things. Been reading up on the mods to prepare for my smoking session. Particularly interested in the needle valve mod. From what I understand the needle valve will enable me to achieve low 200 degree temps and hold it there. Just confused on which to get so I purchased two.( https://www.lowes.com/pd/Bayou-Clas...sure-Propane-Tank-Regulator-with-Hose/3318634) or ( ) Looking for some advice on which is best for my application and why? Any help is greatly appreciated. Also, I plan on ditching the wood chip container for a 8-10”cast iron pan. I’ve already added the gasket around both doors. What else would you do with this smoker?

Attachments

• 12602634-DEDF-44C1-A54B-375FB147907F.jpeg
    12602634-DEDF-44C1-A54B-375FB147907F.jpeg
    165.4 KB · Views: 18
The one on the left will give you better control.
Al
I have masterbuilt 2 door lp smoker,I struggled trying attain low temps.there is a video on you tube after researching how to maintain low temps on Masterbuilt 2 door propane smokers, shows where he lites the smoker and shows flame on low which is still high, turns gas valve past high pushing gas valve in slightly to go past high and the flame is lowered substantialy, I can maintain 150* I don't know if we have same gas valve but is worth a try.I have also bought regulator w/needle valve, you can lower flame a little but now you will be dealing with flame blow outs.A few members also have put screws or nails in holes in burners to lower temps.On regulator that comes with unit right on regulator gives info if you have low or high pressure regulator.Hope some of this helps.I know how frustating this can be I bought two more smokers since the propane thinking I bought the wrong smoker.I now can maintain lower temps.

Last edited:
Thanks. I’ll check out you tube for that video and try turning the gas valve past high if the needle valve doesn’t work.
I have masterbuilt 2 door lp smoker,I struggled trying attain low temps.there is a video on you tube after researching how to maintain low temps on Masterbuilt 2 door propane smokers, shows where he lites the smoker and shows flame on low which is still high, turns gas valve past high pushing gas valve in slightly to go past high and the flame is lowered substantialy, I can maintain 150* I don't know if we have same gas valve but is worth a try.I have also bought regulator w/needle valve, you can lower flame a little but now you will be dealing with flame blow outs.A few members also have put screws or nails in holes in burners to lower temps.On regulator that comes with unit right on regulator gives info if you have low or high pressure regulator.Hope some of this helps.I know how frustating this can be I bought two more smokers since the propane thinking I bought the wrong smoker.I now can maintain lower temps.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky