New member from St. Louis

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dwette

Original poster
Jun 2, 2022
Greetings. I found this site with some research, and it helped me decide on a smoker, so now I have a Smokin-It #2D on the way, due for delivery Saturday. Hopefully, a slab of ribs on the dinner plates by Sunday night. I already have a Big Green Egg XL and a Blackstone griddle for outdoor cooking, although I claim no expertise for either. We use a KitchenAide convection oven and gas range indoors. I cook outdoors year round so I hope the smoker can become my goto for the freezing months especially, assuming the doors don’t freeze shut like my BGE lid does sometimes.

Otherwise, I’m a software engineer nearing retirement, have a wife of 27 yrs Missy, no kids, and a very precious 4 yr old stray-rescue rottie Brahms. My free-time hobbies are music (I have a pretty high end vinyl/digital stereo system, and love jazz and classical) and cycling (I have four bicycles, including my recently acquired dream bike).

I look forward to benefiting from everyone’s expertise, and hope I can pay it forward at some point. Thanks for letting me join the club.

Dean

Last edited:
Welcome aboard from NC Dean. Sounds like you'll fit in just fine around here.

I look forward to seeing some of your smokes. (We're nuts about pictures around here.

Reactions: dwette
I also ordered Jeff Phillips’ Smoking Meat cookbook. That should arrive tomorrow. We already have the Project Smoke one by Steven Raichlen.

Welcome from Iowa! Glad you joined us! And we like dog pics too! We now have our 2nd Dobie, she just turned 3. Food pics are also appreciated!

Ryan

cooltext412330102187085.gif

Also from STL!!!

Welcome from Gilbert, AZ! You're starting out with a pretty good rig, It'll do quite well for you. RAY

Welcome from VT. Glad to have you join the fun.

Chris

Thank you everyone for your welcome replies. I appreciate it.

For any Smokin-It users, I have a question. The manual is somewhat adamant about not using an extension for the 12’ power cord, but I am kinda stuck using one until I get an electrician to deal with my deck (I need an outlet). I have a 13 amp extension cord I use for other stuff. Is that really a non-starter, or can can I get by using it temporarily?

I have a 13 amp extension cord I use for other stuff.
That is almost like plugging it into a 15amp outlet with that wire running half way across your house. If you had a bigger extension cord then even better, but I'd say you're probably OK, but I didn't read the manual so...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky