New member and new to smoking, show me the way please wonderful folk!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

stacky24

Original poster
Jun 3, 2022
Good morning all from sunny Suffolk in the UK, I have finally moved away from Gas and have ordered myself a pit boss pellet smoker super duper thing!
As you can see I’m very excited!
Asking a few things here, does anyone have any recommendations about where to buy big cuts of meat online, Boston butts, brisket and so on.
Also any decent food festivals in ten eastern religion worth a visit.
And finally anyone got a pit boss who can give any tips with setting it up or first use?

Look forward to getting to know some of you on the smoking journey!
Regards
Ben

Reactions: JLeonard
Welcome to the forums. Sorry I can't help you with your questions. I'm not a pellet user or live in the UK. Someone will be along shortly to offer answers to your questions. I would think ordering online cuts of meat from across the pond would put a big dent in your wallet. Especially the way the economy is currently.

Chris

Reactions: SC Grillmore
Thanks Chris,
Yeah we have plenty of online suppliers but a decent brisket is close to $100 dollars of converting from £, maybe that’s the price and because I’m new to it I just don’t know?

Welcome to the forum from California! Nice to have you here... From my personal experience, I never was able to find good priced meat online so... I am buying meat from grocery stores when it goes on sale.... It's possible someone on this forum was more successful then I in finding good prices online...

Welcome from Virginia! Can’t help a lot with some of your questions, but in my dabbling online meat tends to be more pricey. I’d say, based on current prices, 100 dollars doesn’t sound too far off for a brisket where you live. they aren’t cheap here either and, from my bit of time in Europe, I remember whole muscle meats being pretty expensive compared to US. You may want to start with beef Chuck burnt ends!

Be sure to follow up with some pics of your cooks! We seem to get a lot of people joining from the UK, but not following up with other posts!

Welcome aboard!

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Not much help here either. So welcome from Iowa!

Ryan

cooltext412330389198382.png

Hang here Stacky and you will learn all you need.
Pellet poopers are pretty easy once you learn the quirks of your own machine. Get a good 3rd party probe system for Pit temp and meat temp, and look into a cheap smoke tube for added smoke flavor.
Meat in the UK??? Dude, you on your own there.

Welcome . Not sure how active this sub forum is , or if you knew about it . Feel free to interact all over the site , just thought I would link it for you . Enjoy .

Reactions: eaglewing
Welcome from (never sunny) Seattle, Wa. I, too, cannot answer most of your questions. However, I will say that briskets in my neck of the woods will easily run $100 or more. Meat prices vary widely in the states.

Welcome to SMF from SE GA and prices are as high as a cat's back everywhere.
I check all of the area flyers for sales and stock up when I can !

Keith

Welcome, from California. There’s lots of great information based on real experiences here. You can read all about our mistakes and disasters so you don’t need to make them. Remember to post pictures.

Welcome from South Dakota, I echo the above sentiment by another member, cut your teeth on the cheaper cuts of meat like chuck roasts, you still get awesome flavor, similar cuts so you will get valuable experience and that builds confidence for when you want to dive all in with that spendy brisket.

Pork butts are cheap in comparison as well so that is another great cut of meat to learn your equipment with, and I personally always christen a new cooker with chicken thighs.

Just remember, make lots of little changes to find what you like, just dont do them all at once or you wont know what works and what doesnt. enjoy your new smoker.

And I thought brisket prices were just insane in Canada. Too pricey for my blood, so brisket is a rare treat at my house.
Pork butt is one of my favorite cuts--it is without question, the most forgiving meat out there. There's a good sticky on butts in the Pork Forum.
Afraid that's about the only help I can be, but Welcome to the BEST Forum. Ask any question and odds are you'll get a ton of answers--most of them correct but different, since everyone has their own way of doing things. LOL The UK Smokers use to be very active, so they can probably be a big help to you.
Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky