New LSG

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

EXEC

Original poster
Jun 17, 2021
New to the forum, newish to smoking BBQ, new Lonestar 20x36 offset and it's badass. I seasoned it today and it was pretty easy to maintain. I can't wait for my first cook on it this weekend.

I have never had a smoker with a top rack and I want to smoke two briskets and a pork butt on it which means I have to use the top rack to fit it all. I'm concerned that the top rack meat dripping on the meat below will ruin the bark etc. Does anyone have any suggestion on how to do this or does it even matter if it drips on the meat below?

Thanks

Welcome aboard from Mississippi! Look forward to seeing your food pics and pics of your cooker.
Jim

I cooked butts over briskets for years on my FEC100 pellet cooker. I think it helped the briskets. I cooked the briskets fat side up.

Johnny Ray

Welcome to SMF from Houston. I have the LSG 20x36 and it is an amazing smoker. It doesn't matter on what is top or bottom. Just remember that the top runs about 10° hotter and will cook faster. Good luck on your voyages with her. 👍

Welcome to SMF!
Glad to have you join us!
Looking forward to seeing your new smoker in action!
Al

Thank you for all the warm welcomes, what a great community. I'm excited to get involved here.

Anyone have any insight with cooking top and bottom rack and dripping on the meat on the bottom?

Welcome and nothing really to think about top/bottom cooking. If you are putting two briskets in , put brisket over brisket (just rotate them a couple of times to help the cook evenly)....otherwise I would lean to pork over brisket...it wouldn't bother me either way though.... The only real time I'm picky is, if I'm doing chicken and beef or pork.... always put chicken on top...

Welcome and nothing really to think about top/bottom cooking. If you are putting two briskets in , put brisket over brisket (just rotate them a couple of times to help the cook evenly)....otherwise I would lean to pork over brisket...it wouldn't bother me either way though.... The only real time I'm picky is, if I'm doing chicken and beef or pork.... always put chicken on top...

Thanks for the info I will share some pics of the results over the weekend.

I do not know what is going on but my brisket is stuck at 190 for 3+ hours now. Point is buttery, flat is still tough to probe. I have never experienced this before has anyone else and do you have any idea what I should do? My gut tells me to ride it out and bring the cooking temp up from 250 but I'm not sure TBH.

Welcome from Colorado.
Congratulations on the cooker. Should be great.
I try to cook butts over brisket fat side up.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky