New Iberico Batch

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I couldn't sucker you in, huh? I guess I'll have to do it myself.....

Thanks , I was just in that area a few months before Covid hit - really nice countryside and people.

The last big diameter chorizos I did (which are really shrinking btw), I did with 66% picante/33% dulce - so pretty spicy outcome, I anticipate. (still at 2.5% overall)... I might do a chorizo batch this weekend with much less picante like the first time in medium diameters,

I've got to admit that I'm a little underwhelmed with the lack of variations in the recipes I've been exposed to so far. Maybe subtle differences is what's it's all about, but I was hoping for a lot more stuff out there to explore spice mix wise..

I've got to admit that I'm a little underwhelmed with the lack of variations in the recipes I've been exposed to so far. Maybe subtle differences is what's it's all about, but I was hoping for a lot more stuff out there to explore spice mix wise..
Oh- there is infinite variation and different stuff out there.....the problem is getting a recipe!!! Most are closely guarded secret unless PDO regulations are available. But the PDO salamis get all the notoriety, while the salami next door in the next little town that might be just as good is overlooked.

And also remember that salami was a preservation process first and foremost, flavor was secondary. The spices used were selected because they enhanced the preservation of the salami process-either by contributing sugars for fermentation (red peppers, bell peppers, vino cotto, etc...) or the spices had antimicrobial or anti oxidation properties (thyme rosemary, clove, garlic, black pepper, etc..) you'll notice that marjoram is rarely if ever used in salami because it speeds the oxidation of fats.

Often times slight variation in the size of the grind, the type of fat selected, the size of the salami, as well as the spice profile used. With just that alone, you can makes thousands of different salamis.

The last big diameter chorizos I did (which are really shrinking btw), I did with 66% picante/33% dulce - so pretty spicy outcome, I anticipate. (still at 2.5% overall)... I might do a chorizo batch this weekend with much less picante like the first time in medium diameters,

My feelings were the same. The more I looked around, it became obvious that the favorites in many countries are often very simple recipes of salt, pepper, with some garlic, paprika, pepper powder etc. I just consider it an opportunity to experiment with tastes that I like. Twenty years or so and I'll have a good handle on all this.

I've found it is almost as easy to make a ten pound batch as a two pound batch. The cleanup time (which is my least favorite part) seems to be exactly the same. The maximize-efficiency side of my brain tells me to max out the amount of each batch so the ratio of work to production is the most favorable . The other (more sensible) side of my brain keeps whispering to me that experimenting with small batches gives me a better opportunity to experiment with different processes, starters, temperatures, pH levels etc. that will ultimately speed my progress through the learning curve faster than than my efficient brain method. My Yin and Yang of cured sausage making - the battle is ongoing.

Last edited:
I hear you re: Clean up... I think my minimum size will continue to be 10 -12 pounds and maybe extend up to 30 pound batches when I've got free space in the cabinets. We tend to go through it pretty quick around here as I entertain and give away take home samples that are vacuum sealed.

No surprises. I figured you as a gentleman that likes to entertain and provide guests an incredible experience. I always wanted to be that guy..... Oh well....:emoji_disappointed:

Reactions: SCBBQ
I hear you re: Clean up... I think my minimum size will continue to be 10 -12 pounds and maybe extend up to 30 pound batches when I've got free space in the cabinets. We tend to go through it pretty quick around here as I entertain and give away take home samples that are vacuum sealed.
Most all my batches are 5 kilos, which is around 11 pounds. So much easier to work with kilos....especially when figuring the sugars as you can work with percentages easier. I also give away a lot of product. I am currently in Kansas visiting a friend and brought a bunch with me. Gotta clear out the drawers in the frig. if I wanna make more!

Reactions: SCBBQ
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky