New here but not new to UDS builds

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

trailmonkey

Original poster
Jan 13, 2019
Hi fellas. I just thought I would pop in and show you my latest build. I got on the kick of compact UDS builds a couple years ago. I don't smoke as often as some and when I do its more chicken and fatties than anything although I still do pork shoulders and ribs etc from time to time. I got tired of reaching all the way down into a full size drum and for my needs a stubby fits the bill. I use a diffuser and I get good results whether on the upper or lower rack. I made these slider doors a few years ago from some old Bunn coffee pot cases aquired for a couple dollars from the local scrap yard.I can go from a steady 225 to 400+ in 15 minutes just by opening the door. I have also checked temps and the center of the rack measures within 5 degrees or so from the reading on the outside edge with the drum thermometer.

This drum rocks and is very air tight. I did try a second drum this way with a weber lid although I was unhappy with the way it sealed. It just wasn't as airtight and used a lot more fuel so I went back to my trusty flat lid. Also note an idea I came up with. I took an old flat lid and cut the center out of it. I can now set an extra grate in the middle of the cut out lid, put charcoal on my top UDS grate, set the cut out lid on top of my drum, and grill.

Attachments

• uds.JPG
    uds.JPG
    102 KB · Views: 63
  • uds1.JPG
    uds1.JPG
    97.2 KB · Views: 63
  • uds2.JPG
    uds2.JPG
    108.2 KB · Views: 64
  • uds3.JPG
    uds3.JPG
    107.4 KB · Views: 64
  • grill.JPG
    grill.JPG
    254.1 KB · Views: 63
  • diffuser.JPG
    diffuser.JPG
    150.7 KB · Views: 62
  • diffuser2.JPG
    diffuser2.JPG
    230.5 KB · Views: 61
  • basket.JPG
    basket.JPG
    235.5 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Looks really nice trail monkey! How long of a burn will you get on it??

Haven't had a chance to try it long yet but in my past experience with my old stubby which was 7" shorter, and using a square fire basket which calculated at around 400 cu inches less volume than my current basket in the pic, I was able to get a 9 hour burn time at 250ish before shutting her off and going to bed and i still had 1/4 a basket left. That was a dry burn BTW just for testing/experimenting purposes 2 years ago to see how long she would hold. I feel confident that I could do a 12 hour brisket easily. Only the bottom rack is supported by the drum and the top rack stand on 4 legs on the bottom rack. Both racks have legs for easy rotation without having to touch the meat. That said if I had to remove both racks, the diffuser, and add more charcoal it would take 60 seconds or less lol.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky