new guy

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

valmario

Original poster
Nov 8, 2006
hi guys im new to the forum, a newbie from Irvine California. I got my first smoker last saturday. i picked up a Bar-B chef smoker, and i was impressed by my first brisket/pork ribs... i just need to be a little more patient, and get some better charcoal. this board has loads of info, i almost dont know where to start...

Welcome to SMF valmario. You've already started down the path of stardom just by joining this sight. You'll learn a lot, and then when you think you've become an expert, keep reading and you'll see something else to add to your ammunition box. Lot's of good folks here (I'm not one of them). :P What I've found out about this place is "ask and ye shall receive."
Good luck with your smokin'.

Welcome valmario! Glad to have you with us. What type of coal did you use? Did you push the cook times on your meat? As stated, ask away! Enjoy the site!

i just use regular kingsford, with some hickory smoke chips. i couldnt get the temp over 200, i had ot resort to putting a stack of coals on the firebox grills, then i had about 225 for hours... ive been lookin into it, im going to have to put some bricks underneath my coal rack, im also switchin to lump coal. thanks for the support!

Welcome Valmario! You will certainly enjoy your time here! I think weâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]re all nutz here and a amiable crew!
Hey…Donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t forget to check out Jeffâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s Smoking Basics eCourse, itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s very informative and helps you attain a comfortable level of knowledge of the arts of the thin blue smoke. Again, Welcome!
wink.gif

Hi valmario-glad to have you here. You might want to look into getting a charcoal box and elevatiing the charcoal grate for better air circulation. Check out the Minion Method for using charcoal, it's a great way to get hours of cook time from a load of charcoal.

Lots of folks her willing to share the knowledge of the `Que, so don't be shy about asking.

Enjoy!

ok i think i got the charcoal/ temp down, i switched to lump coal and wood chunks, that made a total difference. my first attempt at pilled pork was a lil dry, but it taked pretty good... has anyone constructed their own charcoal basket?

valmario, Check out this link of a homemade charcoal basket made from expanded metal. There are other modifications included in the like that were made a Charbroil Smoker.

Homemade Charcoal Basket and Charbroil Modifications

Hope this gives you some great ideas to increase the efficiency of your smoker.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky