New Guy. Impulse buy (X2). Alberta, Canada.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Barty1884

Original poster
Jan 18, 2022
Hi everyone!

Scotsman, now residing in Okotoks, AB.

Been debating a smoker for a couple years & with a gift card I won over Christmas, decided to jump right in. Bought a Z Grills 450A.... Seemed to be a reasonable entry level point, but beyond that not a whole lot of research was done. Impulse #1.

Arrived yesterday & assembled, but it was too late/cold/windy (ie I was too lazy) to do anything with, not even a first burn-in.

Happened to be at Costco today... And a 13lb "Whole Sirloin Tip" caught my eye. Didn't think much about it and threw it in the cart! Impulse #2.

Now, I'm at a complete loss with what to do with this thing. I'm thinking I could smoke it whole, low and slow (like 200 low, 10+ hours probably?), but I know very little about the cut/slab, beyond the fact it's pretty lean. Any tips welcome.

Unfortunately, slicing it up and freezing for later isn't really an option as we don't have the freezer space.... So whatever gets eaten gets eaten. Myself & the girlfriends son can eat! My dog, 80lb Bulldog will help out some no doubt, and SWMBO will eat sandwiches.... But going to be a lot of waste I'm sure.

If there's a part I should remove & focus on, I'm open to that too.

Appreciate any tips/tricks/recommendations on this.

Cheers.

.... Really wish a deep freeze was impulse #2 instead, but here we are.

Attachments

• PXL_20220119_024041937.jpg
    PXL_20220119_024041937.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 42
  • PXL_20220114_132505711.jpg
    PXL_20220114_132505711.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 47
Welcome. When in doubt about anything be sure to check Bearcarver’s Step-by-Step Index.

If he doesn’t have it on the list there will be something similar or a great method/recipe to try.

Love the bulldog!

Thanks both! Always been a jump in & see what happens kinds guy. Taking a look through bears step by step at the moment. Getting some ideas.... Not too worried if this doesn't play out fantastically right off the bat... Something to learn with. Just happy I didn't opt for brisket off the bad (was tempted!). No matter how it plays out, the pup will be happy!

Reactions: JLeonard
Welcome from Tennessee. I'd recommend a higher smoker temp unless you have ALOT of time on your hands

Thanks!

Not too worried about the sheer amount of time spent on it, I work from home so I have the time.... Although would be nice if I could rough ballpark it so it doesn't come up to IT during the night or something. Thinking an all day smoke, 10-12 hours or so..... Do you think I'm way off the mark with that?

Reactions: TNJAKE
To echo Jakes comment 200F is really low. Most folks for hot smoking go minimum 225F. I’d probably cost it with olive oil rub it with SPOG and smoke to internal temp of 140F, pull and rest for a bit. I’d slice some 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick for dinner , I’d slice maybe half remaining thin for sandwiches and then cube the rest and make some Texas style chili. You can have sandwiches and chili for the week. I could eat that twice a day for a week lol. Cooking those big pieces of meat is habit forming, impulse 3 and 4 should be freezer and vacuum sealer :)

Greetings from Virginia!
Jeff had a good recipe to follow:
This one was based on a 2.5-5 lb at about 4 hours. I’d recommend cutting yours in half and following his recipe!
take some pics! Good luck!

Reactions: Barty1884
Wait a minute. You live in Okotoks, AB?

“Unfortunately, slicing it up and freezing for later isn't really an option as we don't have the freezer space....”

Ok, I grew up in Minnesota. Isn’t the outside a big freezer in Alberta this time of year? If you’ve got bears do what grandpa did. Stick it in a bag, tie on a rope, and throw it into the snow the roof. Haha.

Thanks!

Not too worried about the sheer amount of time spent on it, I work from home so I have the time.... Although would be nice if I could rough ballpark it so it doesn't come up to IT during the night or something. Thinking an all day smoke, 10-12 hours or so..... Do you think I'm way off the mark with that?
A 13lb piece of meat cooking at 200 will likely be more like a 15-16 hour cook give or take........probably give. I'd abandon the 200 idea as there is no benefit to that and raise temp to 225-250 or so

Lots of good ideas here for you! 1st...bulldog looking a little gaunt, better slice him off a piece right away, no cooking or seasoning needed!
I agree with the outside being a big freezer, currently 2 degrees F here in Iowa. After smoking and slicing thin for sammies and French dips is really good. We also just smoked a chuck roast and cubed part of it up and made real chili...with lots of beans added :emoji_blush: , a lb of sausage, and 1/2lb of bacon.

And welcome to the forum! Glad ya joined us!

Ryan

Thanks everyone. Will bump the temp up as suggested, likely 250 range, will see what I can get the smoker to hold.

Good call on using outside as a freezer. Heading into a warmer week, 10'C+, so this run may not be ideal - but will definitely use that for later attempts through the winter!

First off, Welcome to the Forum--you've come to the right place.
That's a big chunk of meat. I'd recommend a higher cook temp than 200--I cook most everything at 240ish.
Like Sven said, storing it out side is an option. Just checked your weather, and starting Friday, the temp should be below freezing for a few days. So putting the meat in a cooler out side is definitely an option.
If you're not a chili eater, then a good, hearty stew, with lots of meat will work. Cube up some of the finished roast and make some Burnt Ends for variety--they will be delicious.
You can also cut a few steaks off, before smoking the roast, for grilling.
Sharing some of the smoked roast with your neighbors will absolutely make friends out of them.
Gary

Welcome from Winchester VA.
I'd smoke it whole at ~ 275* to an IT of ~ 125* and let it rest. This will give you some great slices when first eaten and the rest can be sliced and cubed for the many things listed above.

1642610634605.png

Couldn't make the time work this weekend for the 13lb-er, so opted to just do a couple steaks first. Ribeye for me, tenderloin for the Mrs.

Overall, they were pretty good. Thinking Hickory was a little too neutral though. Didn't get the flavour I was hoping for. Will need to figure out how to sear them better next time, either cranking the heat on the pellet or firing up the gas BBQ.

Attachments

• PXL_20220123_233120560.jpg
    PXL_20220123_233120560.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 18
  • PXL_20220124_013526952.jpg
    PXL_20220124_013526952.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 16
Reactions: bauchjw
Roast is going on tonight, probably around midnight. I'm thinking 230 and, if it's done by morning it can get wrapped and in a cooler. If not, it gives me time tomorrow to adjust temps etc.

SPOG (and a little paprika). Trimmed/hacked, still working in that part.

Attachments

• PXL_20220130_020559031.jpg
    PXL_20220130_020559031.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 11
If you are only taking to 125-140ish it should only take a few hours. On shorter beef smokes like that I prefer to run mesquite. Some people find it to be too much, I rather enjoy it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky