New guy here.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokedcuban

Original poster
Nov 20, 2010
While I wait for my first smoking adventure to be done i figured it a good time to introduce myself and say thanks for a great website.My name is Dan,my family and I live in North West New Jersey. After tasting some amazing home smoked ribs while tailgating at a NY Giants game, I decided that this was for me.I convinced the wife early this afternoon that we needed a smoker. After a trip to both Home Depot and Lowes we settled on the Master Forge double door unit. We rushed home put it together,seasoned it ,cleaned it up filled it with water and hickory and threw in some marinating boneless pork chops!(we must start small haha) They have been in there now for about an hour and a half t, the temp on the door SAYS 300 but from what i understand by reading here its probably more like 250. Im going to have a look at the chops in a bit and play it by eye and a food thermo. SO again, thanks for a great place to start learning about this new and tasty world.

All the best,

Dan

Welcome to the forum, you will find that there is a wealth of knowledge here and everyone is willing to give you advice all you have to do is ask.  So keep smoking and don't forget to post some Qview, (pics of your smoke).

Martin

icon_cool.gif

First off Welcome Dan to SMF. You'll like it here for there are alot of really good folks here that would just love to help you with just about anything to do with smoking. Now there are alot of proven recipes for some amazing things here too. So if you need sign up for the E-Course it's free and it will give you the basics of smoking and some good methods to use also. So the next big thing for you to do is go out and get you something to smoke and if you happen to have any questions just post it here and we will be happy to answer them for you.

Welcome To Your New Addiction

Welcome to the SMF. Glad to have you here. Lots of good folks, great recipes and knowledge. Looking forward to your first qview.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Welcome to SMF. You will find lots of info on your smoker here and lots of great recipes too

Welcome to SMF, Glad to have you with us.

This is the place to learn, lots of good info and helpful friendly Members.

For those of you new to Smoking, be sure to check out Jeff's 5 Day Smoking Basics eCourse.

Click Here it's "FREE" ... 5 Day eCourseE

Hey! thanks for the warm welcome everybody. Well im happy to say the chops came out great! The only gripe i had was they seemed to be a little dry. Practice makes perfect I guess.I threw in one of my wifes awesome meatloafs about an hour ago so i am looking forward to seeing how that comes out. Ill be killing the time watching some football and drinking a few beers!I have a pic of the chops, sorry the pic did not come out as good as i would have liked but i must share anyway.BTW I did sign up for the E-Class!

9a5632df_IMG_20101120_204333.jpg

fd32fcb7_IMG_20101120_203530.jpg

Last edited:
Great Job and Welcome - Cheers to you and your supportive wife! You won't believe how good your meatloaf will be. Those chops look real tasty, what did you marinate them in?  

Thanks! Well because I was in such a rush last night to try this thing out we only used fresh cracked pepper and a healthy dose of Adobo. They really did taste great and after that last night, I can pretty much convince my wife to put anything in there LOL. Would love to hear some tips on keeping moisture in tho. Maybe i cooked the chops too long? I did pick up a meat thermo and as well as an oven thermo. The meatloaf is sitting at 115 and rising slowly after an hour and a half!

Welcome aboard and what great intro with Qview to boot!  Sounds like you're well on your way to some great smokin.  As the others have said, you'll find a lot of great information on here for smokin and fixin just about anything you can dream of.  

Welcome to the forums! I am pretty new myself.  Was the Giants game epiphany a couple weeks ago when the Boys pulled the victory? 
icon_cool.gif

As far as keeping your pork chops moist, you might try a slightly lower temp and then wrap in foil about halfway through the smoke.  Then, a little before you reach your desired temp take the foil off so its not soggy.  Most of the seasoned vets around here use that technique with their pork smokes.  You can even put things like apple juice in the foil for an extra bit of moisture.  Another thing to keep in mind is that your meat will continue cooking for a short bit after you pull from the smoker, and you may want to try pulling from the smoker a few degrees shy of your target.

Just some ideas to play with that I have learned from these folks.  Best of luck and keep that camera rollin!!

Kevin

Welcome to the forum.  The guys/gals here are some of the best people around.  Always willing to let you know what works, and sometimes you might even get a little 'ribbing'...ok sorry had to.

You will learn a lot by just cruising the site and reading.  Ask questions and tell what you learn.  This is like a big family and helping is what its all about.

Good luck and keep it up.

Mo

Hi Dan!  

Welcome to SMF.  I too, am new.  I'm finding it a quite fun resource.  Where in NJ?  I grew up in Secaucus, and my Dad used to live in Harmony.  Live in VA, now.  

I'm getting a smoker later today (I probably should wait until the Black Friday sales, but I don't think I can!)  I'm getting a Brinkmann charcoal (ECB) to learn on.

Best of lucks on your smokes and learning this all.

Take care,

Brian

Nice a Jersey boy! I am originally from NJ and moved here (to NC) about 4 years ago. I lived in the East Brunswick/New Brunswick Area. Ill tell you what, I miss the pizza but I dont miss the weather (or the traffic 
tongue.gif
) Welcome to SMF, this place rules! The chops look good and lets see that meatloaf 
wink.gif
 Now you have a good them, you will be able to get a better feel for your smoker. My therm on the door is 145 degrees off (cold) so just to show, the crappiness of the door therm (that come with the smoker) vary greatly. Keep up the good work. 

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky