New guy from FL

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ordpete944

Original poster
Jan 19, 2014
Orlando
Hello Everyone. I bought a WSM about 6 months ago. I have done four cooks so far, but have had trouble maintaining a steady temp. I mostly do CSR, but have done a whole turkey and chicken leg quarters. A friend of mine showed me this site and the minion method for the coals.  I am looking forward to smoking with some better results.

Pete

[h1]
texas.gif
Hello and welcome from East Texas. This is a great site, lots of information and great people that are willing to throw in their two cents worth on about anything.   
[/h1][h1]  [/h1][h1]Gary[/h1]

Welcome to the forums! We are happy that you joined the group. You'll find plenty of information here with over 1 million posts! Make the search bar at the top of the page your new friend. Or, simply post your question in the area that applies. You'll get plenty of helpful advice.
Also consider enrolling in Jeff's 5 day E course. It gives you lots of great information to start you off on the right foot! Best of all is that it's free!
Again, WELCOME
Brian

Thanks for the warm welcome. My friend that turned me onto this site showed me a few things on here. Just asking him questions has opened up a wealth of knowledge. I know I have a lot more to learn. I cant wait to make some ABTs and fatties.  I am amazed with the amount of info on here.

Since I was in a hurry earlier, I'll add some info.

I have an 18" WSM and a Weber 22.5 " one-touch grill.  I got rid of a six year old propane char-broil that kept eating parts.

I was using chipped up Jack Daniel whiskey barrels for smoke, but since have bought a bag of hickory chunks.

I tried a bag of chubbs and now am using kingsford charcoal. I read somewhere that it was the most consistent heat.  I am anxious to try the minion method and do a longer smoke. I was having heat issues; the temperature would run away and I would take the lid off to lower the heat, feeding more oxygen, the heat takes off again, and the cycle continued.  I am glad I discovered what I was doing wrong.

Pete

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky