~~New Guy and the Mailbox Smoker~~some pics here~~

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

prairiechicken

Original poster
Sep 4, 2016
Posted earlier about problems getting my amazin pellet to stay lit. Finally did the mailbox smoker mod..and it turned out GREAT. Just a few tips for Newbies ( gee I been at it for a month, did I graduate to Newbie +++?). First off, the key to keeping it lit is a matter of good airflow and  making sure the pellets are burning well ..don't rush it. I  used a Butane torch to heat the pellets for about 3 or 4 minutes..let them burn with flame for about 3-4 minutes before inserting into the mailbox. I did " sift" the pellets to remove an dust and did notice some dust after a good sifting. OK....I then put the pellets in the microwave for about 50 seconds....and placed in the AMAZIN.  Then placed inside the mailbox. To make sure I had good airflow, I adjusted the door of the mailbox until it flowed well....BUT, the best touch I did was placing this cheap personal battery fan inside the door of the mailbox. Turned it on low and kept a small steady push of air across the AMAZIN.....the results....AMAZIN smoke that flowed just perfect!!! Take a look...

Only bad point of my day? I tried to smoke a TOP ROUND ROAST ( no marble fat,etc.)....Learned my lesson....touch enough to re-sole my tennis shoes when I pulled it out. But...I think I have the technique down.......Live and Learn , eh?

That's Great PC !!!

Glad you got it going good !!

Hopefully I can help your other problem with the "Top Round".

You can do tough meat, like Top Round, Bottom Round, Eye Round, or Sirloin Tip Roast.

Just do them low & slow enough to get lots of smoke on them, and take them to your favorite Internal Temp. 

Then slice them real thin, because slicing thin takes the toughness away!!

Here's how I do them:

Rare Roast Beef (Smoked for Sammies)             

Bear    

I heat my pellets up for 90 seconds.. stir and heat another 90. Put the amazin in the bottom of smoker and leave the feeder tube out. Has worked well for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks...for the comments...I'll check out that TOUGH MEAT problem on the link.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky