• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

New GMG Daniel Boone Prime

Lovetoeatbbq

Joined Jun 14, 2019
Hi y’all

First time poster here! Just wanted to let you know about the new GMG Daniel Boone Prime grill I just got on Tuesday.

This is my second GMG grill, the first one being a Davy Crockett that we used when motorhoming. My experience with pellet grills shows that no matter which one you buy, you’re probably gonna have a couple of issues with it!! Temp fluctuations, probes failing, controller problems, you name it!! However speaking from experience, Green Mountain has GREAT tech support. That’s why I pulled the plug on a second GMG. Looked at RecTec, Yoder(expensive!!), Treager(had one, not impressed), Camp Chef, etc. etc.

Anyway on receiving my new grill(bought locally), assembled it, burned it in, and started my first cook(4 racks of baby backs), I noticed HUGE temp swings! Set at 200, the grill read 350!! It seemed that the grill would way overshoot the set temp and take forever to come back down. Called GMG spoke to a very pleasant young man who advised that I should update the firmware to version 1.4. I had version 1.2. He said that overshoot is a problem they’ve heard of and the update should remedy that. The GMG app only shows “prototype”, “latest” and “alternate” under the “update grill” menu item. I chose “prototype”. It downloaded version 1.5(!) and installed. HUGE difference!!! Temps are not only spot on but it also includes read outs for the two food probes and an option to select your temperature environment (cold to hot) to help calculate grill behavior.

Anyway just thought I’d put this out there if you’re having temp swing/overshoot problems with your new GMG Prime grill!

Happy grilling, time to eat ribs and have a cold one!!!!

JC in GB

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 28, 2018
Great post. I don't have that kind of rig but great advice nonetheless.

I really wish I could see one of those pellet poopers in action but no one I know has one. Oy! :emoji_confounded:

JC :emoji_cat::emoji_cat:

Jabiru

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Mar 5, 2019
Nice, easy fix. Glad you got it sorted and shared.

These things are just like a computer - hardware + software.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.