New from Western N.C.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smoknscott

Original poster
Aug 3, 2015
North Carolina
Just wanted to say hello. I'm new to the site and a beginner at smoking meat.A friend of mine recently gave me cheap offset smoker and I'm putting it to use today. I have a Boston butt on right now. I have been reading different posts on this site for a couple of weeks now and decided to join the forum the other day. I have picked up a few tips to help me out. I have had my butt in the smoker now for about three hours and fifteen minutes and the meat temperature is at 112 degrees. Does this sound about right? I have been reading with interest about the UDS and I would like to try and make one of those in the near future.

Welcome to the site Scott. Your temp sounds about right. The temp you smoke at will be what determines how fast your meat temp rises. By now you've probably hit The Stall and slowed down. Did you wrap in foil? Or gonna go all the way without wrapping?

Hi Scott, and welcome!  I'm originally from Western NC myself. I'm on the coast now, but do miss the mountains quite a bit.

Anyway, sounds like your Butt is coming along nicely. Consider yourself officially hooked now!  Smoking meat is very, very, addictive.  :-)

I tried to go all the way without.foil but I was running out of time I had it on for about 12 and half hours. The temp was at 181, so I have it wrapped in foil and in the oven now.

Welcome  to SMF Scott and were glad to have you aboard so join in, share your experiences, have some fun and don’t forget to post our favorite………

The Qveiw

welcome1.gif

Happy smoking

Joe

Your fine finishing in the oven...................
icon14.gif

Yes, nothing wrong with finishing in oven. I must say, I started a few years ago and got hooked!! I sold a jet ski and bought a Lang. Check em out online. Still in awe of how efficient it cooks, if you like offset stick burners. I love em. My cooktimes greatly reduced due to the reverse flow. Happy Cooking, and welcome to the party!!!

If you'd like to forget the foil, go for some nice bark & finish sooner, crank up the heat.

I like 275 for pork butt. The higher temp powers it through a very minimal stall.

And don't forget the Lexington Dip!

Welcome aboard!

TW

Thanks for the welcome everyone! My butt turned out OK. There were no complaints from the family. Everyone seemed to like it. I would like to try smoking some ribs next time. I think the sauce I made would really go good on them.

Welcome from SC. I hope you will enjoy the site and all of the great folks who are always eager to share their ideas, tips, recipes and anything else that you may need. All you have to do is ask. Good luck and keep on smoking, Joe.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky