New from southeastern Virginia

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lmci

Original poster
Oct 27, 2010
Southeastern Va
Guess I should'a filled this out a week ago, but just came across it (been too busy reading all the other good stuff on this forum).

New to smoking, but not grilling.  That said, all my BBQ up until now was done in a crock-pot (I know, that's probably sacrilegious  

here!).  So While looking for a new charcoal grill (tired of watching those expensive gas S/S units rust out on my deck) I came across an offset smoker.  A grill and a smoker, how convenient, eh?  Yeah, like I'll ever grill anything again...!

Picked up a Medina River offset..., without realizing what I was doing I ordered the "Small Patio" unit (and budget played a role here - would've gone for one of the more common options I've read about had I gone for the larger size).  And it is definitely small.  That said, I used it yesterday for the first time and had very consistent temps, both across the chamber and for the duration of the smoke (2 slabs of baby backs - 5 hours).  This was with no mods..., I had fashioned a tuning plate but during my morning burn-in, found it made no difference in temperatures and pulled it before the pork went on.  It was easy to keep it fed and in the 220 range on the grill.  Since it's just my wife and I, this is big enough for now.  (But based on her comments after coming home yesterday afternoon - oooouuuh that smell!!!  I may soon have neighbors dropping by.)

Oh, and the ribs were amazing!  I used the 3-2-1 (221) method and the only thing I'll do differently next time is to keep them in foil until the last 20 minutes or so, give them a chance to firm up but not for the full hour.

Also, before I forget, I got a great deal of help from the folks here, both on which smoker to buy and how to get through my first smoke.  That and I "lifted" enough information from this site to fill a small binder (recipes, tips, mod-ideas, etc.).  You all have my deepest appreciation for the help..., and I hope some day I can "pay it forward."

So, enough about me and my grill.  Southeastern Virginia offers many things, and I spend my spare time shotgunning, fly fishing (west of Charlottesville), kayaking a little, and play a little (very little) guitar.  Have been in Virginia for about 25 years and now consider myself "a suth-u-nah," despite a prior life of bouncing around as an AFB (Air Force Brat).  I enjoy the surroundings and hope to retire here in another 5 or 6 years.

That's it in a nutshell.  My plan for the upcoming Veteran's day weekend is to smoke 4 Cornish hens (again, thanks for the "how-to" I found here).  I love Cornish hens and believe this will be the best way to fix them.  I may try pheasant one day (of course, the only pheasants in this region are in the frozen meat department at your finer grocery stores...).

I love the site and plan on visiting regularly.  Feel free to send any tips or tid-bits that us newcomers need (but don't know we need).

Thanks again,

Larry

Larry welcome to SMF glad you joined us. Congrats on the new smoker and successful smoke. You know now that your officially here we expect Qview
biggrin.gif
 Have fun and happy smoking

icon_cool.gif

First off Welcome Larry to SMF. You'll like it here for there are alot of really good folks here that would just love to help you with just about anything to do with smoking. Now there are alot of proven recipes for some amazing things here too. So if you need sign up for the E-Course it's free and it will give you the basics of smoking and some good methods to use also. So the next big thing for you to do is go out and get you something to smoke and if you happen to have any questions just post it here and we will be happy to answer them for you.

Welcome To Your New Addiction        

Welcome to the SMF. Glad to have you here. Lots of good folks, great recipes and knowledge. Looking forward to your first qview.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Howdy Larry,

Welcome to SMF!

Alot of us also suffered from FSTS. (first smoker to small)

Welcome to the forums, Larry!

Great introduction...we'll all be able to rewind and look at what you're smoking with, what the weather can throw in for variables, and your up and coming experiences. This will enable us to collectively offer the best advice, accordingly.

I keep thinking Virginia has got to be a great place to take up residence...mild winters and spectacular scenery, especially compared to the mostly tree-less environment and wretched winters I'm accustomed to. 

You ribs can be changed up a bit to your personal preference, and you've got that number down already. Lots to learn with every new smoke, but's it's just so darn fun, who can stop? LOL!!!!!

Keep that smoker warm and happy with charcoal and meat!

Eric

Last edited:

Glad you joined us Larry...Welcome to SMF.

This is the place to learn, lots of good info and helpful friendly Members.

For those of you new to Smoking, be sure to check out Jeff's 5 Day Smoking Basics eCourse.

Click Here it's "FREE" ... 5 Day eCourseE

Hey guys, thanks for the warm welcome.

I did take the 5-day course, very helpful, and I've bounced all over the links and copied/printed tons of useful information.  All good, and all is now safely in my "Smoke Binder!"  Just need to add some tabs so I can find it all again.

One question..., can someone explain Qviews?  I think I have a notion of what they are (thank you "forluvofsmoke"), but not sure where they are. 

Oh, and I'm pretty sure I won't get FSTS, but I can't promise I won't get another smoker...!

Had my another helping of ribs for lunch today..., no sauce required!  (I have my own rub recipe (which I'll gladly share if anyone's interested but it's so simple you've probably all seen it/done it/got the T-shirt for it)).  I just can't get over how tasty (and good looking) they turned out.  Cornish hens are next!

Looking forward to much more time spent here,

Larry

Hi again, Larry,

Q-views are just posting pictures of your smokes in the proper forum (beef, pork, chicken, fish, cheese, etc) and a brief discription of how things went, if you would do anything different and why. If it's a success, or a flop (not many are). Everyone likes to see and hear about your experiences good or bad, so we can talk about what did/did not go the right direction. It's good for helping inspire others to try what you just did, and a learning tool to pass info along the way.

Eric

EDIT: Q-views can also help you to get that really deep sense of accomplishment as well, especially when everyone looks at your pics and descibes how badly they damaged their keyboard from drooling all over their desk as they tried to lick the monitor...LOL!!!

Last edited:
Thanks for the introduction, and welcome to the SMF. Keep reading the good stuff. It's all good my friend.

Welcome to SMF Larry. Sounds like your on the correct path. Id sign up for the ecourse if you haven't already. Great information in there.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky