New from Memphis

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mbbarnes

Original poster
Apr 5, 2011
Memphis, TN
Howdy guys,

My name is Bryan and I am looking to get into smoking meats.  I grew up in the Boy Scouts which gave me a good background and love for outdoor cooking, mainly using cast iron.  Recently, my wife and I moved to Memphis, TN where I am a new stay-at-home dad. My new job has me taking over all cooking responsabilities and I am always looking for new ideas for dinners.

Since I moved to Memphis I have been eating ribs more often.  So far, over the winter, the ribs I have cooked have been done in the oven (gasp).  I am now ready to get a smoker and try my hand at making some real ribs.  Being on a tight budget with a new child, I am looking at purchasing an ECB type smoker.  I am really thinking about the Master Forge Charcoal Smoker. Unfortunately, there is not much written about this smoker on here, but I think it is similar to the Brinkman Gourmet.  Any thoughts or advice?

I am normally just a lurker on forums I visit, but yall seem very friendly and helpful, I will try and speak up when I have questions.

Thanks,

Bryan

Welcome!

Lots of scouters here..

Plenty of info too!

Read the WIKIs and use the search tool.

Craig

Welcome to SMF. There are a lot of very friendly & knowledgeable folks here to help you. I urge you to sign up for the free E-course. It will give you the basics, & even if you are an experienced smoker you may learn something new. Then start asking questions. Good luck & glad to have you aboard. Don't forget we all love Qview!   If there is any way you can swing it I would get a Weber Smoky Mountain smoker. The 18.5" model retails for $299, I have seen them on sale for $269. It may be a couple of hundred dollars more than you want to spend, but it is worth every penny. 

Welcome to SMF, Glad to have you with us.

This is the place to learn, lots of good info and helpful friendly Members.

For those of you new to Smoking, be sure to check out Jeff's 5 Day Smoking Basics eCourse.

Click Here it's "FREE" ... 5 Day eCourseE

welcome1.gif
  have fun !!!!!!!!

Welcome to the SMF. Glad to have you here. Lots of good folks, great recipes and knowledge. Looking forward to your first qview.

Welcome to SMF. There are a lot of very friendly & knowledgeable folks here to help you. I urge you to sign up for the free E-course. It will give you the basics, & even if you are an experienced smoker you may learn something new. Then start asking questions. Good luck & glad to have you aboard. Don't forget we all love Qview!   If there is any way you can swing it I would get a Weber Smoky Mountain smoker. The 18.5" model retails for $299, I have seen them on sale for $269. It may be a couple of hundred dollars more than you want to spend, but it is worth every penny. 
I had nightmares with my Brinkman. Wish I'd had Al's advise. I don't have one yet but they all rave about the WSM's. 
welcome1.gif

Thanks for the warm welcomes.  Yes, someday I would like to get a WSM, but it will be a few years before I can step up.  I went with the Master Forge Charcoal Smoker. Tonight was it's first burn. I started with a small chimney full of lump charcoal  dumped onto a ring of unlit.  With the water pan empty, She went to about 450 to burn away any nasties.  Hmm...450 is what I cook my pizzas at, I might try a pizza on there this weekend.  With the water pan full she settled down to a decent 225.

The first maiden smoke will be tomorrow with a rack of spare ribs and maybe a fattie. Don't worry I will get pictures.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky