New favorite hotdog/frankfurter

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I didn't look at the label,
Click on the nutrition tag on this page to see the serving size values .

Those are great hot . I can get them at a couple places here .
Johnsonville also makes a natural cased " Weiner " . Don't usually see them for sale , but used to work on a gal's car that was a rep for them . She showed up one day and cooked some up at the shop . Pretty good .
I have one pack of homemade left , might grab some Boars head today .
Thanks for posting Bill .

Reactions: bill ace 350
If I'm reading the labels right:
  • Boar's Head, 1 link = 57g = 160 cals = 440mg Na
  • Costco Kirtland, 1 link = 57g = 170 cals = 530mg Na
  • Hebrew National, 1 link = 49g = 150 cals = 480mg Na
  • Oscar Meyer Beef, 1 link = 45g = 148 cals = 461mg Na
  • Oscar Meyer Classic, 1 link = 45g = 110 cals = 420mg Na
I don't doubt our personal flavor preferences, but I'm not seeing a lot of nutritional differences here. It's not as if Boar's Head is a lot healthier than the classic grocery store options. Now my faves (Kirtlands) are a little salty, perhaps why they're my faves. But they're still only half the salt of a slice of bologna.

If I'm reading the labels right:
  • Boar's Head, 1 link = 57g = 160 cals = 440mg Na
  • Costco Kirtland, 1 link = 57g = 170 cals = 530mg Na
  • Hebrew National, 1 link = 49g = 150 cals = 480mg Na
  • Oscar Meyer Beef, 1 link = 45g = 148 cals = 461mg Na
  • Oscar Meyer Classic, 1 link = 45g = 110 cals = 420mg Na
I don't doubt our personal flavor preferences, but I'm not seeing a lot of nutritional differences here. It's not as if Boar's Head is a lot healthier than the classic grocery store options. Now my faves (Kirtlands) are a little salty, perhaps why they're my faves. But they're still only half the salt of a slice of bologna.
Who mentioned healthy? I like that to me, they aren't overly salty and taste great!

Who mentioned healthy? ...
I think FuelingAround might have, and I'll admit at my age I'm at least starting to consider it! :emoji_sunglasses:
But I also don't have a lot of time left to eat stuff I only kinda' like and pass up what might be better.
So I'm keeping my eye out for some BH wieners. The opinions of Bill Ace (and all this forum's posters) mean a lot to me. (My local grocer's deli stocks BH sandwich meats...so they may come through if I ask for some wieners. )

Koegels and Dietz & Watson also make decent franks for store bought. I grew up eating franks our local butcher made in house and these are pretty close.
I love Koegels. I buy the chicken ones and dinner franks a lot

Reactions: DougE
BH makes both a pork/beef and an all beef wiener, l like the pork/beef the best. That might also be because my homemade are all pork.

Do a search with your zip code for BH natural franks .
Thanks. Google says the safeway in my 'hood has them. Does everyone recommend the natural casings? The cost, calorie, and sodium count is highest for them so I assume they're best? :emoji_sunglasses:

Reactions: chopsaw
sodium count is highest
Couple years ago while getting some test done at the " gut " Dr. , I asked him about eating smoked and cured meats . Thinking maybe it was some of the cause of my problems . He told me " You would have to eat it everyday at every meal for several years "
So , maybe he's just trying to keep business booming or moderation is fine ?
Everyone is different , so take that how you will .

I like those poached . Doesn't take much time in the water . Bring a pot to a boil . Drop in a couple links , turn the heat off and put a lid on . 15 to 20 minutes should be good .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky