New ECB mods for cold smoking

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Rings Я Us

Smoking Guru
Original poster
Jul 3, 2017
Southeast Michigan
Here is a cheap way to get the ham hanging and the cold smoke going.
Got the rain or snow falling on the ECB? No problemo! Use your chimney starter and a bucket or extra Weber lid for an umbrella.. keeping that top vent nice and dry.
IMG_20180413_194126.jpg
IMG_20180413_194135.jpg
IMG_20180413_194748.jpg
IMG_20180413_194734.jpg
IMG_20180413_195037.jpg
IMG_20180413_195132.jpg
IMG_20180413_195137.jpg

I use a stacked ECB and ECM combo. Electric Masterbuilt is the "El Cheapo Masterbuilt" so I can run the pellets with little heat or no heat in this configuration. The two bullets mate up perfectly to form a big area to hang sausages or a ham.
I used a very cheap dowel and screws to put the hanging meat on. If you have vents or a vent on top of your ECB lid you can use the charcoal starter to put over the handle and balance another cover over it for rain protection. Use a brick to hold it on if it's windy.

I will be able to hang my netted ham to cold smoke in here now . You could use a rack to hang a ham from the top position .
You need to have the added space below the ham to put your pellet tray. A bucket with the ECB over it might work. :D

Question : How did you or did you seal the seam between the two ECB bodies ?
I did not have to seal them. They mate exactly. There is no leakage :cool:
I use small pieces of duct tape to keep them from moving however. 2 pieces of duct tape 3 or 4 inches long are good.

Here we go.. I'm using pellets today because it's raining and I don't want to mess with dust.
Lumber jack competition blend for this 12 lb ham. Maple,hickory and cherry.
IMG_20180414_114140.jpg

Looks good Johnny!
You are definitely a DIY'er on steroids!
That is a mighty fine looking ham too!
Al

Haha.. It's cheap and fun once you learn all the tricks. Then you can buy the nice stuff later if you want to enjoy it full time.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky