New cured meat method avoids added nitrates, nitrites...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Interesting but isn't this just using nitric oxide synthase to produce nitrates inside the meats instead of introducing them externally?

How does this differ when consumed? Thanks for posting.. I love this science stuff. :emoji_smile_cat:

JC :emoji_cat:

Reactions: daveomak
Really interesting. Curious what this might mean for sodium levels in cured meats.
I'm sure it will not change how much salt is recommended. Meat dries with the aid of salt. Can't do that effectively on large pieces without salt. As the surface of salumi dries, the salt concentration in that region rises and the different salt gradient is what pulls moisture to the surface of the meat.

Thanks daveomak daveomak and BurntWeenie BurntWeenie and SmokinEdge SmokinEdge .

I got a good chuckle out of reading the referenced articles.

"He said he is developing a prototype amino acid-cured ham product that will be taken through a manufacturing sensory analysis for cured color pigment, volatile compounds, sensory and textural analysis and shelf life."

$500k to develop a new Spam?

Gosh, I must be getting old... don't like change. I'll stick to what I've learned here!

Ryan

Reactions: daveomak
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky