New Build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mr wayne

Original poster
Nov 22, 2012
SW Louisiana
I;m wanting to build my first smoker. Need some opinions. I have a piece of pipe to start with. 20" pipe 50" long. I want to cut off !8" and use this for my fire box. This will be a horizontal smoker. I've looked at the build calculator but don't know how to break down the numbers to know what shape and size to cut opening to smoke chamber. And exactly where as to just below grate or what. will this size chamber and fire box work? I don't need anything bigger for what I cook at any given time. Just wondering what others might think.   Thanks  Wayne

Wayne, afternoon and welcome to the forum...  The firebox should be 1/3 the volume of the cook chamber...  50"-12"=38"  12" is pretty close to 1/3 of 38...

Attaching a round firebox to a round cook chamber has some tricky measurements and involves a little math...

The RF plate, I recommend 1.5 times the area of the firebox to cook chamber opening to help overcome friction loss.... the same area at the end of the RF plate....  The cooking grate can be 2-4" above the RF plate....  

Here is a link to working with circles.....

http://www.1728.org/circsect.htm

Here is one pit calculator

http://www.feldoncentral.com/bbqcalculator.html

For what it is worth, I would keep the 50" tube and build a rectangular firebox for the smoker.....  It may seem big now but in 2 years it will seem small.... Once the neighbors taste your Q you will be busy....

Dave

If i build a firebox out of 3/8" plate, would a 18" sq box be too big? I think a 15" box is just over 1/3 but i also want to be able to grill on my firebox. But want to be able to control heat when smoking. Just didnt know if too big will matter. Thanks. Wayne

50 x 20 = 15,700 sq in...  FB 5,233 cu in recommended..    15 x 15 x 15 = 3,375 cu in....  18 x 18 x 18 = 5,832 cu in...

What size smoker have you decided on ??  I am assuming the 50 x 20 since you have switched to a plate steel firebox... 

32 x 20 = 10,048 cu in.. FB 3,349 cu in recommended... making the 15 x 15 x 15 FB the right size....  

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky