New at this and need schooled

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

duster44t

Original poster
Jan 25, 2011
Greensburg, Pa
Hi guys and gals. Just bought a MES and need some help on the where, what, when, etc. I have it on right now trying to find where the temp is that I want(just has hi/med/low on the dial). I'm sure some of you guys can step up and help me out. I have some questions but don't know where to start. I went out a bit ago and picked up a couple steelhead fillets. Got one in a soy sauce brine and the other is dry rub.

What temp should I try?

Should I have them on a cookie sheet or something or just on the rack?

How long should I let them smoke?

How often should I check on them (chips, etc.)

Give me a starting point but take it easy on me and don't hit me with to much at once.....Thanks ahead of time. 

Welcome to smf!!! the mes is a great unit to have very easy to smoke with. One thing i found out is the temp reading and the meat probe is about 5-10 degrees lower then what the inside temp really is.So you can use your oven thremo inside to see where your unit is running.Make sure to move it around a little cause you will have differant temps through out your cabinet. With wood chips i start with a good size handful and the add chips every 35-55mins. once again i add about a handful.I'm sure more members will be along with some more help for ya!! Good Luck!!!

Thanks les. I'm going to mess around a little in the morning until I get the temp where I want it. I'm guessing I can start around 225 for a couple/few hours for the fish. I'm just going to spray the rack and lay the meat, fish, etc on it.

Welcome!!

There is tons of info here.

Read the WIKIs and try the handy dandy search tool.

Have fun.

Craig

Welcome to SMF, Glad to have you with us.

This is the place to learn, lots of good info and helpful friendly Members.

For those of you new to Smoking, be sure to check out Jeff's 5 Day Smoking Basics eCourse.

Click Here it's "FREE" ... 5 Day eCourseE

Welcome to SMF. There are a lot of very friendly & knowledgeable folks here to help you. I urge you to sign up for the free E-course. It will give you the basics. Then start asking questions. Good luck & glad to have you aboard.

I have to tell ya. I have the fish in and I've been check about every 45 min or so and it smells "WOW".......I should have bought a unit and started this a long, long time ago

I have to tell ya. I have the fish in and I've been check about every 45 min or so and it smells "WOW".......I should have bought a unit and started this a long, long time ago
You understand that this is a new hobby & one of the tools you desparately need is a "CAMERA!!!"  Ha Ha!  Post that qview so we can drool with you as you savor the flavor of the smoke.

Welcome to the SMF Forum!!!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky