New Asian 13 Spice Baby Back Ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

civilsmoker

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 27, 2015
Idaho
I recently have been a mission to develop a new universal rub for pork, beef, and chicken and I believe I'm zeroing in on something that is pleasing to the task buds.....

So here is the new mix......
1/4C each smoked paprika, granulated onion, granulated garlic, turbinado cane sugar.
2 Tbsp each brown sugar, granulated sugar
1 Tbsp Japanese seven spice
1 Tsp Chinese five spice,
2 Tsp gochugaru Korean style red pepper
1/2 Tsp each ginger, lemon pepper
1 Tbsp & 1 Tsp kosher salt, coarse

So here is the pork rib test..... Some baby backs. the top one is a local new vender/farm I found that has no loin meat on it!!!!! Yes back to the good old days The bottom one has some but is pretty clean and very uniform, note this will dramatically affect cooking time....
6C87B06B-0507-46A0-BC2C-5FC75860C47F.jpeg

So I used some yellow mustard then the new rub......
67F4947B-D8C0-4481-BF6B-93C1A30718E9.jpeg

Then on the RT 1250 at 235.... you can see I did different amounts of rub coverage for testing purposes on the amount.. the top rack has less and the bottom very heavy......
F9E551D9-913B-418D-9DF4-017224B664CE.jpeg

Here they are at an hour in... you can see the difference in rub coverage now...... FYI, I put the smaller rack on 30 mins after the larger one....
658E4C51-796C-4385-93F1-2848235B4B4E.jpeg

So I failed to get pics..... not good, but I made up a mop, of a cup of chicken stock (reduced by 1/2), then a Tbsp each of rub, turbinado & granulated sugars, and butter. At the 3 hour mark, they were both at a IT of 187 and starting a slight pull, so I mopped them with the mixture above and then lightly wrapped them with foil (I left it loose and not touching the top of the rib and then let them run covered for another 30 min..... The purpose of the covering was to soften the rub/bark and give the surface a glistening texture. The overall timing was 3.5 hours for the larger rack and 3 hours for the smaller rack.... note these are not the monster think Costco BBR from MONSTER Hogs....

So Now to the cutting..... I turned these over and sliced top side down on the cutting board to test the "attachment" of the rub especially after the mop and cover (oh a few of the smaller ones got taste tested and grabbed for my wife's plate before I could snap a pic..... but here is the slice....
AB02A64A-A410-4560-8932-DEA7D5D16FC3.jpeg

you can see from the slices that the short wrap and mop only soften the bark a bit but it still has some bit to it by the "un clean" cut (IE I was in a hurry slicing.... hangry family watching....).

These ribs were joined with my wife's smoked gouda M&C and some garden fresh maters....
80597DDD-83DF-43F9-846D-F6A6F58B9AE4.jpeg

Yes the summer theme is still alive and well!!
D2101BA4-B6C7-4488-B32D-D5CC71FD00C4.jpeg

So what's the verdict on the rub....... First, just note the bark texture on the ribs..... its has a slight texture to it and oh man the overall flavor is a slightly sweet (I would call it light and fresh vs sugar sweet) and savory overtone.... Its hard to explain but the rub doesn't add to heavy or overly meaty tone but rather a bright and fresh tone.... The test also didn't give me any indication to adjust the mixture any for pork.......

The next test will be some chicken thighs and then some brisket.....

Last edited:
Holy cow...or pig should I say. You are on a roll sir!! Some truly outstanding meals posted recently and this one is no exception. What an amazing write-up. Tons of detail, great pics, and a thorough step-by-step dialog. Outstanding post and a superb meal!!

Robert

thanks for the nice detail about your rub!! the ribs look excellent!! nice looking meal too!!
Thanks tbern! I hope others find the rub tasty as its always good to pay it forward!
Holy cow...or pig should I say. You are on a roll sir!! Some truly outstanding meals posted recently and this one is no exception. What an amazing write-up. Tons of detail, great pics, and a thorough step-by-step dialog. Outstanding post and a superb meal!!

Robert
Many thanks Robert! Maybe the new camera has something to do with it....LOL Actually its the increase price on eat out..... not doing that much anymore so that means cooking more at home..... Oh and found my new fav vender for ribs....loin free BBR, nothing better!!!!!

Heck yeah bud that looks delicious. I've about given up on babybacks because of the loin meat. I need to find some like yours

The ribs look awesome! Glad the rub is working out! Something I added to my pork rub is ginger powder.

- Jason

Looks awesome! Would like to have some.... Thank you for sharing your recipe - on my list to try....
Thanks Push! I certainly think its worth a try for sure!
Heck yeah bud that looks delicious. I've about given up on babybacks because of the loin meat. I need to find some like yours
Thanks Jake! I can say I was in the same camp as you on the BBR, especially the Costco pack, but the little rack made me realize while BBR are the bomb!
The ribs look awesome! Glad the rub is working out! Something I added to my pork rub is ginger powder.

- Jason
Many thanks Jason! Ginger is a nice add for pork for sure!

Reactions: millerbuilds
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky