New and and have questions.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

usmc0811

Original poster
Jan 4, 2020
Hello, first post here. I recently received a new Masterbuilt 230s propane smoker for Christmas. So far I have done tuna steaks and salmon in it. I used the small wood chips for these recipes and followed the directions from the manual saying to use about 1 cup of chips. The thing is these wood chips burned up really fast, like 20-30 min and they were ash and not smoking anymore. Is this how it is supposed to go? I figured they would last at least over an hour. I soaked them for approximately 30-40 minutes prior to using them. So I added more when they were all gone but this means I have to open the lower door to add more and this lets the heat out and thats not what I want to do if I dont have to. Should I be using the larger chunks to burn as they wont turn to ash as quickly or just use more small wood chips like 3-4 cups at a time? The first recipe was the tuna and it came out really smokey as I added more small wood chips once the first ones were gone. should I have just continued cooking with just the propane once the wood was all burned up and not have added more chips or do u want smoke the whole time?

I'm not 100% sure my answer is correct but it works for me

I don't soak my chip. Something to do with makes white smoke instead of thin blue smoke which contributes to the acrid over-smoked flavors.

I don't always add more, most smoke is absorbed in the 1st 1/4-1/3 of the cook. As fast as fish is done, first palm-full of chips is probably plenty.

My propane smoker runs hot. Cooks fast. Maybe look for a heat-shield.

Reactions: usmc0811
30 minutes is average for Chips. As above, soaking chips can add bad flavors and is pointless. Chunks can Smoke longer but can ignite increasing the temp unwantedly. An A-MAZE-N Tube will give you several hours of smoke between refills. Search Masterbuilt Propane Smoker Mods, for what others have done to get better results...JJ

Reactions: usmc0811 and S-met
Don’t soak the chips. Try to get smoke for at least the first third of your smoke.

You want the smoke coming out to be thin and bluish colored.

If you have a small chunk of oak or any wood from a fireplace try a fist size chunk it should last for a longer time.JMHO
Richie

I start with a combo of chunks & chips, then switch to chunks.
But I cut my own chunks from wood splits with a chop saw.
I have to add a chunk every 45 minutes to an hour.
This is how it looks at startup.
1578227372721.png

Al

An A-MAZE-N Tube will give you several hours of smoke between refills.
I just looked them up. It looks like they use pellets. According to my smoker manual it says not to use pellets only chips. Would I be able to use this? Maybe fill it with chips or could I use the pellets anyways?

I use splits I've cut in half, and chunks. When I start the smoker I crank it high (300+) to get the wood to ignite, then turn the temp down and it eventually smolders.

An6Sy7n.jpg

mm9V0ak.jpg

I just looked them up. It looks like they use pellets. According to my smoker manual it says not to use pellets only chips. Would I be able to use this? Maybe fill it with chips or could I use the pellets anyways?

That warning refers to not using Pellets in the Chip Tray. The intense heat of the burner ignites the pellets in just a couple of minutes. The Tube was designed, " specifically ", to add long lasting smoke in Gas Smokers and Grills...JJ

That warning refers to not using Pellets in the Chip Tray. The intense heat of the burner ignites the pellets in just a couple of minutes. The Tube was designed, " specifically ", to add long lasting smoke in Gas Smokers and Grills...JJ
Cool thank you for the information. So I fill the tube and then just place it on the chip tray?

No Sir, the tube goes some place where it will get some air but not get dripped on. The side of the bottom rack, side of the drip pan, just away from the burner. There will be nothing in the chip pan, unless you throw a Chunk of some other flavor wood for fun...JJ

Nice , do u put them "cookies" in the pan on the burner? Or just to the side like picture shows?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky