New 3D wifi

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

GentlemanJerk

Fire Starter
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 5, 2018
Bellefonte, PA
Finally able to get a 3D wifi version and got several smokes in over the last couple weeks.

I did two batches of jerky, one beef (that got way too smoked, didn't have the vent fan on all the time) and a batch of pork jerky that turned out amazing and took about 2 hours less than my old smokers.

Now I'm onto some buckboard bacon and hard smoking the pork shoulder bones so my wife can use them for slit pea soup. (Picture of bones attached)

Apart from some small cosmetic issues the smoker has been working really well and the app has been surprisingly useful. The only thing I really have left to do is the re-tune the PID to work with the vent fan. Once that is set up, I think I may finally be able to keep up with my family's demand for my jerky. XD
IMG_3814.JPG

Reactions: kruizer
Glad to hear you are liking the smoker. The 3D is quite a smoker! The "vent fan" is more for drying out than removing smoke, but I guess you know that. If you had too much smoke flavor, reduce the amount of wood.

Is the fan an add on or come with the unit? I need a new smoker and there are lots of good reviews for the Smokin- it...JJ

The fan is an add on. Smoking-it sells their version called the James Jerky Dryer. They also have their own in house designed stainless steel cold smoke generator. Some folks cobble together a dryer fan using an old computer case fan or something similar.

Glad to hear you are liking the smoker. The 3D is quite a smoker! The "vent fan" is more for drying out than removing smoke, but I guess you know that. If you had too much smoke flavor, reduce the amount of wood.

I was originally using pellets with the a-maze-n smoker tray and I was getting way too much smoke built up inside the chamber and caused me to end up with a nasty build up on the one batch of jerky I've done. I've done a couple more with pellets but I kept the temp low (100-120F) while I was smoking with with the fan on, then cranked the temp up when I was done smoking to cook and removed the fan. The last batch of bacon I made I used dust instead of pellets and I didn't really need the fan to pull the smoke out. I was a nice light smoke the whole time, compared to the thick white smoke I was getting with the pellets.

Reactions: zwiller
One really nice feature about the Smoke-it smoker is the wifi option. I've got it connected to my home router/wifi and the app on my phone and I've been able to control my smoker from anywhere I've had phone signal. Also being able to set up a cooking profile to save for later is really handy. So far the only complaint I really have is some small cosmetic issues and the fact that I probably need to eventually get a taller version of the smoker if I want to start ramping up my production of sausages and bologna.

Last edited:
IMG_3822.JPG
IMG_3826.JPG

Beautiful color on the batch of BBB I made. The top picture has had 14 hours of smoke while the bottom has had 18 hours of smoke. The piece on the right in the bottom picture is going to get dry aged kind of like a coppa to see what happens.

This weekend is time to smoke a bunch of cheeses. I've got some swiss, blue and a couple hard cheddar cheeses waiting in my fridge.

Cosmetics aside, these are super great smokers. Steve will be ready to sell you a larger smoker when you need it. I have found the size of the3 to be more than adequate and have yet to fill all the racks. Ideally, I would get the 4 just. for bragging rights. The larger units are ideal for hanging sausage. There have been a couple of folks who purchased the 5 for commercial use and are enjoying the fruits of their labors. By the way, Steve just introduced a cap for the smoke hole to keep the rain out. Like the smokers, all stainless.

Reactions: Smokehouse Bob
I hadn’t thought about making jerky in my smoker before but now I’m inspired. I always used a countertop food dehydrator or two. I would use London Broil for the meat.
Please explain your process and which cut of beef you use. I’d like to give it a try.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky