Never going to Look back!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mikekemp50

Original poster
May 7, 2013
Honolulu, HI
I'

Preferences

Preferences

I'm still pretty new to the whole smoking aspect of smoking great Meats low and slow.  But since day one i was using Kingsford Original Charcoal Briquettes and wasn't all that fond of how difficult (and messy) it was to deal with.  Yeah, it worked and it got to temperature just fine but if i looked away from the Thermometer Receiver for a second the temp would spike to close to 300 degrees.  Not good when you're wanting to take it low and slow.  

Well, i have wanted to get lump charcoal for a while, but nobody around here (in a close vicinity) sells it.  I decided that i would brave Hawaii traffic and make a trip out to acquire some to give it a shot.  Like night and day, the lump charcoal is by far superior to the briquettes.  I have kept steady temperatures for the past 4 hours of this smoke and have had no flare ups in temps or too much smoke.  It's awesome.

For those that are thinking about trying out the lump charcoal, do it.  Like i said in the title i will never look back again.  Lump from here on out.  

As for the smoke i have a 9lb Bone-in Boston Butt and probably the smallest brisket i have ever seen in my life topping the scales at 5lbs.  I know it's a monster but it was a late purchase for the Labor day weekend.  I will put some q-view up when the meat is finished.

Thanks for all of the great advice on this site.  You guys rock!

Preferences

§

-

=

Backspace

Tab

q

w

e

r

t

y

u

i

o

p

[

]

Return

capslock

a

s

d

f

g

h

j

k

l

;

'

\

shift

`

z

x

c

v

b

n

m

/

shift

English

Deutsch

Español

Français

Italiano

Português

Русский

alt

alt

Preferences

Don't forget to post some q-views when all is done and have fun.  Lump is definitely the way to go for low and slow and a restful smoke.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky