Never going to happen...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

inkjunkie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Nov 25, 2014
Made burgers for dinner last night. Hers had a fate pink center. She wouldn't touch it. "If the juices aren't clear I ain't eating it."
How in the world am I ever going to smoke anything, beef wise, until the juices are clear and still have any sort of flavor....and not have it be about as chewy as a shoe? How does one go about smoking, say a tri tip roast, and have it come out both on the rarer side and grey, dry and ready to be made into a shoe? Do we cut it and use 2 separate thermometer probes....leaving hers on until it has an IT of 180 or so? Other day I cooked a tri tip steak until the IT was 170, she only ate the parts that were grey.

Cook the roast to MR, have some beef jus on the side and dunk hers in the hot broth and finish it that way, I call it visining! It gets the red out...

I am assuming "She" is your wife. speaking from over 40 years of marriage Fix it the way she likes.Whatever your smoking or grilling do it to the correct temp or what you like, cut off her portion and grill and smoke it longer. Everybody is happy. When I first met my wife she wanted everything well done, now she likes medium. Cooking steaks hers goes on first, when I flip hers I put mine on. I am doing a smoked prime rib Christmas, she knows I will cook it rare to a little medium rare so hers will be grill a little to get to med.  Just takes a little planning.

Gary

I got lucky with my country girl of 37 years. She likes what we call "Texas Medium Rare" which is a bit closer to rare than many parts of the country. When we travel we've noticed that the farther north you go in the midwest they more done they prefer their meat. In her home town in South Dakota the Medium rare is closer to medium well. 

But Ink, Gary my East Texas friend is correct. As the pit master its up to you to flip that meat the way your family and company likes it.  Just put your burger on a few minutes after you toss hers on the grate! Keep the peace brother!

And the method WelshRarebit wrote of is spot on. Works every time!

b

Last edited:

I am assuming "She" is your wife. speaking from over 40 years of marriage Fix it the way she likes.Whatever your smoking or grilling do it to the correct temp or what you like, cut off her portion and grill and smoke it longer. Everybody is happy. When I first met my wife she wanted everything well done, now she likes medium. Cooking steaks hers goes on first, when I flip hers I put mine on. I am doing a smoked prime rib Christmas, she knows I will cook it rare to a little medium rare so hers will be grill a little to get to med.  Just takes a little planning.

Gary
X2-----45 yrs and nothing has changed!

Cook the roast to MR, have some beef jus on the side and dunk hers in the hot broth and finish it that way, I call it visining! It gets the red out...
Bit of confusion on my part. Beef jus...can just broth or stock be used? Guessing that the temperature of it is higher than the meat? Will it actually increase the meats temperature or just alter it's color?

Gary
Whenever we have any sort of steaks I always start hers first. When we do a trip tip roast here soon guessing I will be cutting a portion of it off to start first.

I got lucky with my country girl of 37 years. She likes what we call "Texas Medium Rare" which is a bit closer to rare than many parts of the country. When we travel we've noticed that the farther north you go in the midwest they more done they prefer their meat. In her home town in South Dakota the Medium rare is closer to medium well. 
 But Ink, Gary my East Texas friend is correct. As the pit master its up to you to flip that meat the way your family and company likes it.  Just put your burger on a few minutes after you toss hers on the grate! Keep the peace brother!
And the method WelshRarebit wrote of is spot on. Works every time!
 b
Keep the peace..I will do my best. What's that saying....happy wife is a happy life?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky