never cooked 2 butts at the same time before

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Smokin, Keep the temps between 225* and 275* butts are very forgiving, I like to smoke them on the lower temp (225*) with hickory or cherry. Just fill up that ecb and adjust your bottom damper and keep your water pan full.  Are you Foiling at any point? This would be a good trial, foil one and not the other.

Anyway, Good Luck

Thanks bro, how do you like your wsm? Are they as easy to use as people say? Im new to bbq and Im absolutely in love with it. I really want a wsm but I havent personally talked to anyone about them. Its a chunk of change to buy one but people sure do make it sound like they are worth it.

Here is the basic on temp - smoke at 225 until the internal reads 165 then foil and take to 205 then pull and wrap in towels and into a cooler (no ice) for at least an hour. I have left them in the cooler for as long as 7 hours and they were still too hot to pull by hand - you want to fill the entire cooler if you are going to leave in there more than an hour or two -

Good luck with the smoke

Scarbelly's got you covered.  Just remember that those butts will probably not get done at the same time.  I once had two butts finish 3 hours apart.  Good luck, you'll do just fine.

Smokinstevo, I have cooked as many as 20 at the same time in my stick burner and did not change anything with the fire. It might take a bit longer to get your pit temp up to 225 - 250 but once it is there you should be able to hold it as you normally do.

I have not noticed a big difference , if any, at all cooking 1 butt or 20. But I am using a wood burning pit. .

Hope this helps.

Boone

Back in June I smoked 3 butts in my 18.5" WSM. It didn't use any more fuel than normal. They were done in 10 1/2 - 11 1/2 hours. I wrapped them in foil at 160* and took them off at 205*. Then they were wrapped in towels and placed in a dry cooler overnight and pulled the next morning; 12 hours later they were 160*.

Thanks bro, how do you like your wsm? Are they as easy to use as people say? Im new to bbq and Im absolutely in love with it. I really want a wsm but I havent personally talked to anyone about them. Its a chunk of change to buy one but people sure do make it sound like they are worth it.
Smokin, I love my WSM, They are almost like the "Ronco" set it and forget it.  

i got lucky friday when i did two, they stayed within 10 degrees of each other the 11 hours in the smoker and finished at the same time and sat in the cooler for 2 hours.........bob

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky