Nepas Slim Jims

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
NEPAS (kinda) Spicy Snack Sticks
Here is my recipe for some spicy snack sticks......this does 10 lbs, if you want 5 lbs just cut everything in half. Feel free to add any spice you like...
REMEMBER IF YOU MAKE A 5 POUND BATCH YOU WILL NEED TO REDUCE THE RECIPE BY HALF.
What you will need.
8 lbs beef, like eye, top and so on <this you will have to grind) OR 90% LEAN GB 1 lb pork butt
1 lb beef fat (you might have to ask for this) NOTE: If you use straight 5 pounds Ground Beef 80/20 or 85/15 leave out the ground beef fat.
5 T salt
2 t cure........#1
5 T powdered dextrose
1 t hickory liq smoke (opt)
3 t celery powder (not salt)
3 t nutmeg
3 t curry powder
3 t white pepper
1 Cup cold water
1 Cup powdered non fat dry milk
13 or 20mm natural or collagen casings

Preperation:
1. Grind meats and fat through med plate 1 time.
2. Mix ground mixture with all ingredients.....(except casings) in a large plastic bowl or tub until mix gets tacky.
3. Regrind mix through plate one more time (opt)
4. Stuff into casing. You can leave long or twist. If useing collagen and twist into 8" length. Refrigerate links overnite.
5. Hang sticks or on racks in smoker, dont let em touch. Pre heating smoker at 130* Right ;D
6. Hold sticks in smoker @130* for an hour
7. When casings are dry to the touch turn heat to 140* start smoke 1.5-2 hour. Add small amount of water to pan, vent full open.
8. On the 3rd hour increase temp to 150* continue smoke/cooking until the IT of the probe you inserted reaches 152/155* NOTE: You may have to increase the smoker temps from 150 thru 160-170*
9. When you get the IT temp, turn off smoker and open door. DO NOT RINSE THE STICKS WITH WATER. Let them cool on the rod or racks slowly. Remove sticks when they are cool and shriveled.
Hope this helps some. BTW You can use your choice of wood.
nepas

This recipe if my brain serves me goes back to 2007/8

NEPAS (kinda) Spicy Snack Sticks
Here is my recipe for some spicy snack sticks......this does 10 lbs, if you want 5 lbs just cut everything in half. Feel free to add any spice you like...
REMEMBER IF YOU MAKE A 5 POUND BATCH YOU WILL NEED TO REDUCE THE RECIPE BY HALF.
What you will need.
8 lbs beef, like eye, top and so on <this you will have to grind) OR 90% LEAN GB 1 lb pork butt
1 lb beef fat (you might have to ask for this)
5 T salt
2 t cure........#1
5 T powdered dextrose
1 t hickory liq smoke (opt)
3 t celery powder (not salt)
3 t nutmeg
3 t curry powder
3 t white pepper
1 Cup cold water
1 Cup powdered non fat dry milk
13 or 20mm natural or collagen casings

Preperation:
1. Grind meats and fat through med plate 1 time.
2. Mix ground mixture with all ingredients.....(except casings) in a large plastic bowl or tub until mix gets tacky.
3. Regrind mix through plate one more time (opt)
4. Stuff into casing. You can leave long or twist. If useing collagen and twist into 8" length. Refrigerate links overnite.
5. Hang sticks or on racks in smoker, dont let em touch. Pre heating smoker at 130* Right ;D
6. Hold sticks in smoker @130* for an hour
7. When casings are dry to the touch turn heat to 140* start smoke 1.5-2 hour. Add small amount of water to pan, vent full open.
8. On the 3rd hour increase temp to 150* continue smoke/cooking until the IT of the probe you inserted reaches 152/155* NOTE: You may have to increase the smoker temps from 150 thru 160-170*
9. When you get the IT temp, turn off smoker and open door. DO NOT RINSE THE STICKS WITH WATER. Let them cool on the rod or racks slowly. Remove sticks when they are cool and shriveled.
Hope this helps some. BTW You can use your choice of wood.
nepas
Can you just use 80/20 or 70/30 ground beef or do you have to have the pork butt for flavor profile? Didn’t know if the pork was just for fat content and if you could find fatty enough beef you could skip the pork?

Can you just use 80/20 or 70/30 ground beef or do you have to have the pork butt for flavor profile? Didn’t know if the pork was just for fat content and if you could find fatty enough beef you could skip the pork?
Reread and think I answered my own question

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky