Nepas Amish Style Sweet Sticks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
My wife grew up in Lititz PA Amish country. These style sweet sticks are popular there.

samishst.png

Recipe.

You can change up this recipe to what you like

For a 5 pound batch
AC Legg #116 seasoning (as per directions for 5 pounds meat) Or use your fav mix
Cure #1 @ 1 level tsp
5 ounces of honey (1 ounce per pound)
1⁄2 cup cold water
Let casings dry at low temp in the smoker. Smoke for 5 hours (cold smoke at low temp on this batch). Then bring up to 152 internal temp. Place into a paper bag in the fridge for a couple of days before storing.
My smoking times start at 130* then bump up from there. my TSM smoker is a PID control.
130 for 1.5 hours
140 for 2 hours (no smoke)
150 for 3 hours (smoke)
160 for 2 hours w/smoke (check meat IT) might have a stall here around 130 ish IT
165 for 2 hours IT of meat should be around 140 (smoke opt)
170 until meat IT is around 150‐151 pull, dunk in just cold tap water for a few seconds pull and
hang, they will IT at 152 by themselves.

TRY NOT TO EXCEED A SMOKER TEMP OF 170 or you can risk the fat‐out.
I dont probe any of my sausage, probing can cause fat cavitation at the probe end and give false readings.
I do use a thermapen inserted from the top down to check meat IT.

My wife grew up in Lititz PA Amish country. These style sweet sticks are popular there.

View attachment 498287

Recipe.

You can change up this recipe to what you like

For a 5 pound batch
AC Legg #116 seasoning (as per directions for 5 pounds meat) Or use your fav mix
Cure #1 @ 1 level tsp
5 ounces of honey (1 ounce per pound)
1⁄2 cup cold water
Let casings dry at low temp in the smoker. Smoke for 5 hours (cold smoke at low temp on this batch). Then bring up to 152 internal temp. Place into a paper bag in the fridge for a couple of days before storing.
My smoking times start at 130* then bump up from there. my TSM smoker is a PID control.
130 for 1.5 hours
140 for 2 hours (no smoke)
150 for 3 hours (smoke)
160 for 2 hours w/smoke (check meat IT) might have a stall here around 130 ish IT
165 for 2 hours IT of meat should be around 140 (smoke opt)
170 until meat IT is around 150‐151 pull, dunk in just cold tap water for a few seconds pull and
hang, they will IT at 152 by themselves.

TRY NOT TO EXCEED A SMOKER TEMP OF 170 or you can risk the fat‐out.
I dont probe any of my sausage, probing can cause fat cavitation at the probe end and give false readings.
I do use a thermapen inserted from the top down to check meat IT.
Ill give it a try , great tutorial !

I'm betting those Sticks are Awesome, Rick!!
But what happened to the rule that when you leave PA, you have to leave your PA Dutch Recipes in PA??? :emoji_bear:
Like.

Bear

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky