Needed- Weber Smokey Mountain Rub Advice

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Ferocious

Original poster
Jan 16, 2023
Made ribs on my 14WSM twice in two weeks. Same rub, coals, and wood. Same everything.

First week, the smoke adhered amazing. Nice ring and great smokey flavor.

Second week, almost no ring and smoke flavor, just bbq taste.

Why is the cooker so inconsistent producing smoke ring and smoke flavor?

I don't own one but maybe someone else that does can help you out.

Ryan

I don't own one either, but I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with your rub. Did you use the same charcoal, wood, etc? Was the time & temp profile the same? There are many other variables.

I've had my WSM 14.5" for quite a few years and have no issues with consistency other than weather related,wind and temp can cause issues but can be compensated for with the bottom vents and amount and type of charcoal.

How you light/burn your charcoal can cause differences also.

The two questions I would ask would be were the weather conditions the same for both smokes and did setup and light/burn your charcoal the same way?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky