Need thermocouple help on new build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

whitegardens

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Dec 7, 2015
I was contemplating running 2 thermocouples making a thermopile.

Would this be overkill? Otherwise I'm just going to use 1.

And, if you were to use 2, where would you position them?

Thanks in advance!

Why would you ever use two? If one went out you'd have to dick around with figuring out which one it was. If there was any benefit too using two for added safety every elect. oven and water heater would have two. Just use one and make sure you have a replacement handy in case it ever goes out...they always fail when the stores are closed or you're miles away from one.

Last edited:
Just thought about 2 to get a better average temp of the cabinet.

But, it's basically just over thinking. It's probably not neccisary unless I'm doing some sort of process control were temperature is super critical. Smoking meat isn't super critical.

You could just use a PID controller to dial the temp within a few degrees.

Working on that now...

Its all part of my new 220 electric build currently working on.
20210509_143956.jpg
20210509_144137.jpg
20210509_144249.jpg

as far as placement goes, on mine the hottest area is near the exhaust, the coolest is opposite just leave enough wire out so you can move it around some. They always start out looking nice and neat then this happens.

Attachments

• 20210227_193714.jpg
    20210227_193714.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 14
In the process of getting this build complete.

Had to put it on hold.

Going to put a single thermocouple in opposite of the door analog thermometer.

If I don't like it, or want to play with it, I'll add another.
20210606_151902.jpg
20210606_151348.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky