Need recipe for pressure canning Dove and Quail

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

poacherjoe

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 7, 2019
Central Ca
I have access to a couple Almond hullers and the Eurasian Doves are plentiful and we have no limit on these invasive birds so I have checked the internet already for info but I was hoping I could get some member's semi classified personal recipe's ?Any help will be appreciated and we can do a " Pinky Swear " so the recipe will remain classified !
Regards Joe

I think you want to brown, braise the parts of the birds... Doves, breast them... Don't fully cook... I would make a bunch of gravy in the drippings... Pack the jars with meat and gravy...
Freshly killed, soak in 1 TBS kosher salt per quart of water.. for 1 hour.... rinse, do not soak.. You won't need to add salt to the jars if you do that...
Hot pack the birds in the canner jars after browning and about 2/3 cooked... Fill the jars with meat leaving 1 1/4" headspace.. Fill the jars to 1 1/4" from the top with stock if you are short on gravy.....
11#'s pressure on the gauge or 10#'s on the jiggle weight...
Without bones
pts 75 minutes
qts 90
With bones
pts 65 minutes
qts 75

You know to let the canner escape steam during preheat to remove air in the canner and jars... let steam escape for probably 15 minutes until it is total steam with no 'clear' air escaping from the vent... as the steam escapes, it will condense in the atmosphere and form a steam fog.... When air escapes, you will see nothing but air... I can't see air but maybe you can....
You do not want to crank down tight on the jar bands... finger tip barely snug, so air can excape from the jars..

Reactions: poacherjoe
I don't have a recipe for canning, but if you need help shooting them.... 😉
I bet you would !! If you look around and find an Almond huller go ask permission to shoot them after they are done hulling the Almonds. That way there are no workers around and less chance of anyone getting peppered. Or go shoot on weekends when no one is there. That's what I did and I have 2 spot's and there is no limit on them. Now good luck finding steel ammo.

I bet you would !! If you look around and find an Almond huller go ask permission to shoot them after they are done hulling the Almonds. That way there are no workers around and less chance of anyone getting peppered. Or go shoot on weekends when no one is there. That's what I did and I have 2 spot's and there is no limit on them. Now good luck finding steel ammo.
Isn't that the truth about the steel ammo!!! So ridiculous.

Well I ended up doing the Raw oack in pint jars and used 1/2 tsp of salt in each. From there I did an experiment. To each jar I added something as follows. Jalapeno pepper,liquid smoke,Garlic, Onion and pepper . Now when I open each jar I will judge the taste of each to see if I like it and maybe do it again. Not much help from the internet . I just decided to use my imagination. All the jars sealed just fine. Oh I forgot that I added the hearts and gizzards into one jar to see how they turn out.

Reactions: D.W.
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky