Need quick info/opinion on MES MB20074719

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mneeley490

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 23, 2011
Everett, WA
My trusty MES30 crapped out this morning, Thanksgiving of all mornings, and I need to pick up another one pronto. Sportsmans Warehouse has a decent price ( $249) on this 40" one today.
1606432418212.png

I hear the bluetooth is garbage, but I use Maverick remotes anyway. Other than that, this seems to be the current basic model, i.e. no broiler or rotisserie, which is fine by me.

Last edited:
Academy generally has the best prices on MES smokers this time of year. I saw they had one for $199 with no window and was black. I personally find the window overrated but some like it.

Have you thought about salvaging your existing one by doing the simple rewire (cut 4 wire ends and splice to make 2 wires) and buying an Auber PID controller?

Chances are your element is still good so you have a failure with a connector or with the controller. For $150 on an Auber PID you can turn your current unit into one that works 10x better than any MES you buy brand new.

Heck if its just a worn out connector you can find and fix that fairly easily for less than $25 :)

Let me know if any of this sounds interesting.

Reactions: MJB05615
I have an Auber that I'm currently not using, but I don't want the MES blowing the fuse inside; they are a B to replace. And after 10 years, I think it's time anyway.

I have an Auber that I'm currently not using, but I don't want the MES blowing the fuse inside; they are a B to replace. And after 10 years, I think it's time anyway.

No problem.
If you have the time and care to check you can look at the heating element's connectors and if corroded and the problem is there, its a simple fix and saves u from buying a new smoker :)

Well, I got the thing delivered the other day, and of course there was a problem right away. Everything seems to be there, but even though there was no damage to the outside box, the door has a big ol' dent in it.
20201203_135347.jpg
20201203_135353.jpg

Not bad enough that it'll interfere with the operation, but geez, this must have happened before they boxed it. Is their quality control that poor these days? I've sent in replacement request; we'll see what happens.

(I also broke the plastic foot that you can see in the pic. You have to connect them to the bottom with a socket wrench, and the plastic just busted before it even felt like it was firming up. But that one's on me.)

Haven't heard from Masterbuilt and I couldn't wait any longer.
I smoked up a 9.5 lb turkey breast with orange wood, and I will be delivering it to my parents place tomorrow.
20201206_143418.jpg

20201206_153425.jpg

Kinda funny. I caught this guy hanging from the eves, right in the direct path of the smoke. He was originally 3' over to the side, but I think he likes it.
20201206_143622.jpg
20201206_143634.jpg

Finally received a reply from Masterbuilt:

Sent: 12/03/2020 6:13 pm GMT-05:00
Subject: Case #193696: Dented Door

Hello, I received my smoker via delivery, and although the outside box was fully intact and unmarred, the door came with a large dent in the side. Since there was no damage to the box, I can only assume it went into it this way from the factory.

Hello Michael,
I am sorry to see that the door arrived damaged. Unfortunately, the door is currently out of stock. If you are within the return/exchange window for the retailer, I would suggest taking that route for a timely resolution. If you are not, or you encounter any issues with them, please let us know.

Customer Service<[email protected]>

So I guess they stock no parts for what appears to be a popular model. Wow.
I checked the Sportsman's Warehouse website and of course they want returns to be pristine. As I've already recycled the box and done about 4 smokes in it, I doubt that qualifies. So at least it's something that doesn't interfere with the operation. I guess I can live with that. But based on this, I probably won't buy another one of their products.

I run my MES40 Gen 1 smoker with an Auber PID. I have wired the heating element to connect directly to the Auber, by passing all original Masterbuilt fuses. For me, it's the only way to go.

I guess tell MB what you mentioned to us so the case stays open and ultimately you get a new door when it's back in stock. In 2015 my smoker arrived looking like it was delivered by covered wagon. I had to wait a month for a replacement smoker on the boat from China and MB didn't want it back after seeing all the pics I sent for my case.

Reactions: pa42phigh
I'm sorry, this is probably a dumb question but I cannot find a single picture online that shows the back of this unit (the MB20074719.) Can someone please confirm whether it actually has wheels or not?

I'm sorry, this is probably a dumb question but I cannot find a single picture online that shows the back of this unit (the MB20074719.) Can someone please confirm whether it actually has wheels or not?
If it is the unit pictured above, then yes, there are 2 wheels in the back.

Finally received a reply from Masterbuilt:

Sent: 12/03/2020 6:13 pm GMT-05:00
Subject: Case #193696: Dented Door

Hello, I received my smoker via delivery, and although the outside box was fully intact and unmarred, the door came with a large dent in the side. Since there was no damage to the box, I can only assume it went into it this way from the factory.

Hello Michael,
I am sorry to see that the door arrived damaged. Unfortunately, the door is currently out of stock. If you are within the return/exchange window for the retailer, I would suggest taking that route for a timely resolution. If you are not, or you encounter any issues with them, please let us know.

Customer Service<[email protected]>

So I guess they stock no parts for what appears to be a popular model. Wow.
I checked the Sportsman's Warehouse website and of course they want returns to be pristine. As I've already recycled the box and done about 4 smokes in it, I doubt that qualifies. So at least it's something that doesn't interfere with the operation. I guess I can live with that. But based on this, I probably won't buy another one of their products.

So you get a damaged item, didn't contact Sportsman's right away for the issue, used the smoker before hearing back from Masterbuilt and now Masterbuilt is the bad guy for a dent that you have no idea were it came from? Maybe Sportsman's had it out of the box on display or could they have replaced the box, you don't know.

Sportsman's Warehouse has a no-return policy if the box is opened. If there had been damage to the box, I would have contacted them right away. And had Masterbuilt customer service replied in a timely manner (you can see above that they took nearly 3 weeks to get back to me) perhaps I wouldn't have been forced to use the damaged one. Also, there was someone else here that had identical damage to the same unit. So obviously the damages occurred at the factory, and there was no way for either the retailer or myself to know.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky