Need Pointers on Hot snd Fast Brisket in Offset Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mkriet

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 21, 2015
Dayton, OH
Hey guys and gals. I got an Oklahoma joe reverse flow offset for father's day. I want to do a brisket hot and fast and was looking for pointers.

Does anyone have pointers on fire management to run that hot? I did some ribs today and seemed to have trouble getting enough airflow to keep clean smoke.

Any pointers in general would be helpful, whether for the smoker or for the meat. I've had a WSM for several years, so this is a big difference.

Thanks in advance.

Hot and fast for me is 260-280F. I have a small RF, I use 2 sizes of wood. Sticks I call are small pieces 1-2 inch diameter 6 to 12 inch length. Then my larger pieces are regular splits 4-8 inch diameter 6 to 9 inches long. I just cut splits on my miter saw. The trick is to build the right size fire. I use the small pieces to get quick heat and burn the larger piece.

For brisket I get the smoker up to 300 and then add meat fat down for 1 hour, then I flip fat up for rest of the cook. 5 hours in the smoker then I wrap in foil and put into 280F oven. I start probing for doneness at IT of 195. Toothpick has to slide in. 10 pound brisket done in about 7-9 hours.

RG

I'm right there with radio guy. Smoker runs between 265- 280°. I wrapped in butcher paper the last 2 cooks and I'll never go back to foil.
I've seen posts that refer to hot and fast cooking temps closer to 350°. Sorry, that's not for me. Fat side up or down? Good luck sorting that out. Experiment. Find out what works for you. Good luck. Keep us posted.

Reactions: phatbac
I've been using the standard flow oklahoma joe highlands for a little while now and yes just like stated above you are going to have to use small splits. I try to keep my splits around 6 inches or so long and probably between 1 and 3 inches diameter on average.

The smaller the splits the cleaner a fire I can get but you have to manage the fire more than just throwing in a larger log. I struggle with larger logs because they seem to either burn wayyy to hot or they are smoldering.

Another tip I've learned is I keep the splits I'm going to throw in soon on the top of the firebox, and I'll keep the next split that's gonna go into the fire inside the firebox in the corner. It starts to heat up and allows instant combustion when you throw it in the fire.

Unless the fire starts to burn too hot, I always leave my firebox door cracked open to allow more airflow instead of using the baffles, and also leave the stack wide open.

I've also found that trying to keep this thing low around 225 is super tough, and I end up smoking between 240 and 300 mostly. Seems like to keep this thing at 225, the fire needs to be so small that you have to constantly baby it and bring it back to life when throwing on new small splits. If anyone has any tips let me know as well.

You want to check out Chile's hot & fast, a little hotter, a little faster. RAY

Reactions: mkriet
You want to check out Chile's hot & fast, a little hotter, a little faster. RAY

Nice. I checked it out. Im gonna try for that. Will be interesting to see if I can get the smoker that hot.

Well boys, hot and fast appears to be the ticket. Started out between 300-325 for the first hour. Been on for about 3 hours now and hovering around 295. Been using pecan wood. Brisket IT is at 178, getting ready to wrap. Can't wait to taste this thing.

Attachments

• Snapchat-1530814623.jpg
    Snapchat-1530814623.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 7
Oh man, that is looking wonderful! I've had a 12lb brisky in the freezer for a couple of months now that I got at a great price. With just me and the wife being locked down, and she doesn't eat beef cuts, it'll most likely go thru the grinder and never see the grill. RAY

Never got around to posting finished pictures, so here it goes. I was pleased overall. The flat got a little dry towards the end, but I think there are a couple things I'll try different next time. Want to try injecting it, and curious if anyone else has tips tip keeping the flat moist on a hot and fast cook. The point was excellent and bark was great.
Snapchat-1094229115.jpg
Snapchat-1094229115.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky