Need PID help/direction.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tpc74

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
May 8, 2012
Berkley, MI
A friend of mine just had his MES30 go on the fritz. He almost rolled it to the curb, but I told him not to, remembering the forum here.

So my question is, what PID controller should he get, and is it the same idea as wiring up a MES40? The unit he is has most closely resembles this:

https://www.masterbuilt.com/products/30-inch-digital-electric-smoker-1

I think his is at a minimum 4 years old, so that one may be slightly newer. He contacted Masterbuilt I believe or at least looked for a control board replacement online with no success, but everything I've read seems to indicate a conversion would be better? Do any of the PID controllers have any built in wifi like options? Or is that just not cost effective?

He wanted to buy my MES40 off of me, but as it was gifted to me by my dad, it holds some sentimental value as well as still being a very useful smoker!

Reactions: DieselTech
This should help you out. If you have any questions ask tallbm tallbm he's the resident guru on this very subject.

Reactions: tallbm
And he's sure it's the controller and not a burnt wire connection at the heat element ?
Yes, had something to do with the button pad on top. Like it wasn't registering the button presses and then all of a sudden it would start to and then start running.

At least thats how he described it to me.

Reactions: chopsaw
That's what mine was doing . Gen 1 30 . Still good input to check the connection to the element .
Easy enough to do .

A friend of mine just had his MES30 go on the fritz. He almost rolled it to the curb, but I told him not to, remembering the forum here.

So my question is, what PID controller should he get, and is it the same idea as wiring up a MES40? The unit he is has most closely resembles this:

https://www.masterbuilt.com/products/30-inch-digital-electric-smoker-1

I think his is at a minimum 4 years old, so that one may be slightly newer. He contacted Masterbuilt I believe or at least looked for a control board replacement online with no success, but everything I've read seems to indicate a conversion would be better? Do any of the PID controllers have any built in wifi like options? Or is that just not cost effective?

He wanted to buy my MES40 off of me, but as it was gifted to me by my dad, it holds some sentimental value as well as still being a very useful smoker!
This is the base PID controller from Auber that would run an MES30 or an MES40. They techinically make a slightly less powerful and cheaper one that runs an MES30 but not an MES40 but all us MES guys know it is often very desirable to upgrade from MES30 to MES40 so best to have a device that works on either ($165).

Here is the wifi version ($235) https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_28&products_id=702

Now with those prices it's easy to think "hell I could almost buy a new unit for that" BUT what you have to understand is that doing the simple rewire and slapping one of these on makes that dying MES better than anything masterbuilt sells brand new. Like better than lots of $1000+ electric smokers!
So it really is a completely new and better smoker and that is how it should be looked at and how it will feel once converted.

For the smoker you posted, either of those PIDs will work WITH the simple rewire.

As already mentioned, he should check the connectors and if doing the rewire it's not much extra effort to check and replace the connectors at the heating element with hi temp ones that don't rust and corrode away like the crappy masterbuilt ones.
Also I highly recommend he replace the connectors at the safety limit switch and if no panel to get to it he cuts and makes a panel to get to it because it fails ALL the time! So best to do all this while the thing is being worked on.
What do you get doing all this extra stuff when doing the rewire for a PID? You now get a smoker you can keep running short of it getting hit by a tornado. He could keep it working until it burns down or the PID controller fails (have heard no accounts of these things happening much if at all).

Good job stopping your buddy from throwing out that good smoker box. I hope this info helps and he gets it going :D

This is the base PID controller from Auber that would run an MES30 or an MES40. They techinically make a slightly less powerful and cheaper one that runs an MES30 but not an MES40 but all us MES guys know it is often very desirable to upgrade from MES30 to MES40 so best to have a device that works on either ($165).

Here is the wifi version ($235) https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_28&products_id=702

Now with those prices it's easy to think "hell I could almost buy a new unit for that" BUT what you have to understand is that doing the simple rewire and slapping one of these on makes that dying MES better than anything masterbuilt sells brand new. Like better than lots of $1000+ electric smokers!
So it really is a completely new and better smoker and that is how it should be looked at and how it will feel once converted.

For the smoker you posted, either of those PIDs will work WITH the simple rewire.

As already mentioned, he should check the connectors and if doing the rewire it's not much extra effort to check and replace the connectors at the heating element with hi temp ones that don't rust and corrode away like the crappy masterbuilt ones.
Also I highly recommend he replace the connectors at the safety limit switch and if no panel to get to it he cuts and makes a panel to get to it because it fails ALL the time! So best to do all this while the thing is being worked on.
What do you get doing all this extra stuff when doing the rewire for a PID? You now get a smoker you can keep running short of it getting hit by a tornado. He could keep it working until it burns down or the PID controller fails (have heard no accounts of these things happening much if at all).

Good job stopping your buddy from throwing out that good smoker box. I hope this info helps and he gets it going :D

Thank you for all the helpful information! I just don't know if he wants to spend the money on it unfortunately. Things like that are a big consideration these days.

For the safety switch, where is it located? Or do you have to cut the whole back panel off to find it??

Thank you for all the helpful information! I just don't know if he wants to spend the money on it unfortunately. Things like that are a big consideration these days.

For the safety switch, where is it located? Or do you have to cut the whole back panel off to find it??
Yep it's not exactly a cheap replacement to get a PID however it is less than a new smoker though people may think "I'd rather have a new one" which is not a bad idea with most things but in this case rewiring and using a PID is the equivalent of a new and much much much better smoker for far less money.

The round quarter sized thing on the back wall of the inside.
1637285907597-png-png-png-png.png

Here is what the switch looks like on the back of the smoker IF you have a panel too it. If no panel you just have to cut into the back of the metal to get to it.
full-d-1507244320-jpg-jpg.jpg

upload_2019-4-12_21-26-45-jpeg-jpg-jpg.jpg

One thing to add, buying a new smoker is just spending money on a smoker with the same issues that hasn't failed YET !! The PID fixes most of those issues.

Reactions: tallbm
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky