Need Input - Keep new smoker?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

illini40

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Feb 12, 2017
Good morning

It’s been some time since I’ve been on these forums, so appreciate your help in advance. Admittedly it’s been awhile since I’ve smoked much, unfortunately.

Last night at a charity event, I won a new Masterbuilt 30 inch digital electric smoker. See the link for the model that I believe it is, along with the stand with wheels.

I have no experience with the popular MES. I have a Traeger Pro 1400, and I’ve been pretty a tried and true pellet guy for the past several years.

I really don’t have a need for this MES, but I’m curious if I’m just not thinking through how it could fit into things? Help educate me, please…are there benefits to this MES that would cause me to find a spot for it and keep it (in addition to my Traeger and Weber gas grill)?

Or am I not missing out if I gift it to someone?

Realize this is a subjective question, but appreciate your thoughts as I’m not just sure what I would be walking into with this electric smoker.

I have several grills and smokers . I use my MES 30 for smoked sausage , hams and bacon . Works great as a holding oven or warmer too .
Nice prize .

Use it as a warmer ? What's the lowest temp it will hold ?

Thanks gentlemen. I am curious too, what is the temp range? I cannot find anything in my research.

I am curious too, what is the temp range? I cannot find anything in my research.
Max temp setting is 275 . Not all the units hit 275 . The stock controller is known the have temp swings , but it's not that big of a deal as it's made out to be , in MOST cases anyway . They're good units for the price ( in this case free ) . The temp swings are manageable in my opinion . A lot of use have done the rewire conversion for an after market PID controller . Which turns an MES into a awesome smoker .

Max temp setting is 275 . Not all the units hit 275 . The stock controller is known the have temp swings , but it's not that big of a deal as it's made out to be , in MOST cases anyway . They're good units for the price ( in this case free ) . The temp swings are manageable in my opinion . A lot of use have done the rewire conversion for an after market PID controller . Which turns an MES into a awesome smoker .
Good point. Not on my smoker but on a warming oven I bought that has a built in analog probe, the temp varies +/- 15°. The way I look at that is I try to dial it in to the middle somewhere to get the average temperature I am looking for.

Reactions: chopsaw
Could be wrong bit I think the low setting is 100 degrees. These are great for smoked cheese, just ad a mailbox mod with a amnps tray. Also as mentioned good for smoked sausages, bacon.

If you ever thought about making sausages of various types it's the best tool for the job imo.

I have been through many smokers since I started on the MES40. I am thinking of buying a new one just for sausage, bacon and cheeses as others said.

Could be wrong bit I think the low setting is 100 degrees. These are great for smoked cheese, just ad a mailbox mod with a amnps tray. Also as mentioned good for smoked sausages, bacon.

^^ Just what I was gonna say. If you do sausage, bacon, or cold-smoke cheese, keep it - it's perfect for smoking cheese, especially with the addition of an AMPS or tube.

Sorta depends on what/how you cook. If all you do is smoke pork, beef, and poultry, you may not find much of a need for it.

Red

Good morning

It’s been some time since I’ve been on these forums, so appreciate your help in advance. Admittedly it’s been awhile since I’ve smoked much, unfortunately.

Last night at a charity event, I won a new Masterbuilt 30 inch digital electric smoker. See the link for the model that I believe it is, along with the stand with wheels.

I have no experience with the popular MES. I have a Traeger Pro 1400, and I’ve been pretty a tried and true pellet guy for the past several years.

I really don’t have a need for this MES, but I’m curious if I’m just not thinking through how it could fit into things? Help educate me, please…are there benefits to this MES that would cause me to find a spot for it and keep it (in addition to my Traeger and Weber gas grill)?

Or am I not missing out if I gift it to someone?

Realize this is a subjective question, but appreciate your thoughts as I’m not just sure what I would be walking into with this electric smoker.

If you have the room, you want lower cost smoking (electricity vs pellets + electricity), and you really have an interest into getting into sausage, bacon, jerky, and cold smoked items.... I'd consider keeping it. Just know it may need some tinkering with to do some of this stuff very very well.
Also your climate may affect your ability to cold smoke. I'm in TX so I only have a couple months a year to do real cold smokes before ambient temps make that less of an option.

If not, then you can always sell it for cheap on Facebook or Craigslist and spend the money or something thing needed or something nice :)

One thing to think of. If you keep and convert to use a PID controller you will have a smoker that can do ANYTHING overnight with little to no issue.
I personally wouldn't attempt sausage unless it was running on a PID controller. My temp swings were too large until I converted to a PID.
Yes it can be done but it's heart breaking to find a little fat out after all that work, or to take FOREVER on the sausage trying to avoid fat out.

PID or no PID if you like pulled pork you can do a pork butt over night with little or no issues and sleep like a baby until your thermometer alarms tell you to check for tenderness and wake you up :)

An MES 30 is not big enough for a whole brisket, but if you cut it in half you can do the same for a brisket.
The MES30 is too small for me.

I hope this info helps you on your decision making :)

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky