Need help with some wings

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

big woot

Original poster
Mar 20, 2015
Louisville, Ky
Ok I am preparing for my ultimate Kentucky Derby party this year. That is a big day usually for smoking meats and grilling. This year I am going to make a lot of chicken wings. They have seemed to be my arch nemesis. I have quarters and whole chickens down but wings always get me. Everytime I smoke them I usually run them for about 2 hours at 225 and they always come out with rubbery skin. I thought about grilling them at the end for some crispness or flash frying for about 30 seconds to get done. Anyone have any suggestions on a better way or am I going in the right direction?

382F559D-16B1-4667-B878-B71F98DD525A.jpeg
I just did 40lbs of chicken wings on my smoker for the super bowl and they came out great. Get your temps up a little higher like around 275. I find that at 275 it takes about 2.5 hrs and those wings are wonderful. I just put Cajun type seasoning on them. And I make sure to get their IT up to 165.

Yeah turn your smoker up higher the last 30 minutes or if it doesn’t get that high finish them on a hot grill.

Are you saucing them before you put them on the smoker? I just dry rub them and then sauce when I put them on the grill.

Good luck,
Scott

Rubbery chicken skin happens when not cooking hot enough. I have good results at 325F for all poultry skin.
Last time I pulled my wings early and hit them on a hot hot grill for the last 10-12 minutes of cooking to ensure the skin was right and finish the wing cook. They came out great!

I smoke at 275 and then crisp up with the gasser. My only problem is trying to find decent size wings.

I see you have a char-griller 50/50 duo. If you have the side fire box then I would smoke them first on the smoker side and then transfer over to the propane side to crisp up on high heat.

Chris

I smoke at 275 and then crisp up with the gasser. My only problem is trying to find decent size wings.

Costco has wings just over $2/pound. I wish they were bigger but at least they aren't super puny wings.
Besides the price being better then most grocery stores, the wings come already separated with no wing tips. This at leaves saves on prep work if you like to separate the pieces. Also separated pieces allow for better/easier arrangement on the grill racks to fit more wings.

The pros are pretty good even if they aren't big wings.

I do them for about 1 1/2 hours at 250, then finish them on a hot grill.
Only takes a couple minutes on each side to crisp them up.
Then toss them in a mixture of Frank's hot sauce, & melted butter.
Al
Oh a man after my own stomach!! Love my Frank's hot sauce!!

Rubbery chicken skin happens when not cooking hot enough. I have good results at 325F for all poultry skin.
Last time I pulled my wings early and hit them on a hot hot grill for the last 10-12 minutes of cooking to ensure the skin was right and finish the wing cook. They came out great!

This is what I do

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky