need help with pellet tray

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Patrick_K

Original poster
Aug 5, 2018
I bought the pallet tray everyone talks about but i am having issues lighting it well enough. What should i buy to light it well enough that it works

I use a propane torch or mapp gas, whichever cylinder I grab. I usually just need to hold it on the pellets for a minute or so until it catches. Make sure your pellets are not damp. Some on here put theirs in the microwave for a couple of minutes to dry them out before lighting - Keep a close eye on them if you try this! I let mine burn for 10 minutes before I blow it out and put it in my mailbox and have few issues. Hope this helps.

I use a propane torch. Once you get the pellets burning, you let them keep burning for a few minutes. Then blow them out and put them in the Smoker.

I got a MES 40 Gen 2.5, so I have the lower side chip loader. I remove the chip loader, and my top vent is 1/2 or more open. I check it a few times just to ensure they are going, and that's that. Generally if you let them burn for 5 mins before blowing out the flame; you'll have no issues with it going in the smoker.

Generally if you let them burn for 5 mins before blowing out the flame; you'll have no issues with it going in the smoker.

+1; I use mapp gas since I already had it. Some guys use a electric heat gun. I should try that once but haven't. With mapp I hit the hole for 5s and wait 5s. Repeat. Pellets catch fire but go out. Repeat one more time and this time the pellets catch fire and will stay lit until I blow out. Do a few dry runs of a single row and you will get the hang of it.

All my pellets are stored open in a plastic sealed tote with a couple of these $10.00 rechargeable dessicants and a digital remote hygrometer TP-60 from ThermoPro. Quick easy lighting pellets.
20180816_084103.jpg
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t...ubic-ft-rechargable-moisture-absorber.276279/

Hi there and welcome!

I also use a propane torch and follow the AMNPS directions with a slight variance.

I light the pellets for about 45-50 seconds with the torch (not on full blast lol).
I follow the directions to allow the pellets to burn with a flame for 10 minutes then blow out and go.

NOW, I have noticed that sometimes pellets do not want to burn for 10 minutes straight.
What I learned in this case is that I needed to microwave my pellets for 1min 15sec, stir and let set for 2 min, then microwave again for 1min 15 sec (don't do more than 2 rounds of microwaving AND the 2 min break is needed).
The microwave trick will usually then allow the pellets to burn with a flame for 10 minutes or really close to it.
This shows how the microwave zaps out the unseen/undetected moisture in the pellets.

So if you are having trouble with a maintaining a 10 minute flame you should have all the info you need to power through it... provided you don't live at some really high elevation. In that case the A-Maze-N tube version seems to be the preferred option.

Best of luck!

I put an aluminum tray(s) full of pellets on a rack inside the smoker while it heats up.By the time the smoker has achieved temp the pellets are nice and dry.

Yup---Propane torch for Pellets, Butane torch for Dust works best for me.

You gotta get it lit real good with a nice Big Cigar0like Cherry down deep in the row, before you put it in your Smoker.
I don't put mine in my Mailbox, because my Mailman is actually a Female, and I wouldn't want to burn her hands!!!

I keep my Pellets in Airtight Jugs with screw type tops, so they stay perfectly Dry for many Years.
DSC01239.JPG

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky