Need help with heat source for new build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Benjamminn

Original poster
Jan 25, 2021
We built our first smoker for making sausage, ham, and general processing since we raise our own meat. We built the box L 24” x W 24” x H 60” using cedar and we insulated it with reflectix aluminum insulation. I am looking for suggestions on a heat/smoke source that would be easy to install and hold a consistent heat for smoking sausage and stuff—Money really isn’t an factor. Any help would be appreciated thanks. 9737244C-F4DE-4615-8C9E-57CC63905F71.jpeg 11C7C4BF-EE44-49F2-BF1F-BEA28F46624A.jpeg C8927C44-61C8-42FA-B6BE-DD9EC552367A.jpeg 7E625FEB-E569-44A1-8D30-83DD0016ABB6.jpeg 5ACCF77A-1BFC-4B6F-BF1E-8E0C01BF0D62.jpeg B11DA973-BB56-4E57-9DBB-A21007CE696C.jpeg C2729E50-654F-494B-B5B3-A15CA6E35BE0.jpeg 4099159E-D0C8-4CFC-B468-ADF697D798FB.jpeg

Welcome to the Forum Benjamin.

Type of burner is dependent upon your fuel source, ventilation, how full the smoker will be at onetime, how hands-on you want to be, etc. Take a look around the forum using the search engine above. There is a lot of info out there on this Forum. While you wait for someone to help with more experience than I have, Here are 2 threads that might be useful to you.

New Smokehouse | Smoking Meat Forums - The Best Barbecue Discussion Forum On Earth!

Search results for query: cedar smoke house heat source | Smoking Meat Forums - The Best Barbecue Discussion Forum On Earth!

Good Luck 🍻
John

First question is what temperature do you want to run? By the way that is a good looking smokehouse.
Electric will be the easiest to operate, but propane is an option. That’s what I use for mine, but mine is 36x36x84

First question is what temperature do you want to run? By the way that is a good looking smokehouse.
Electric will be the easiest to operate, but propane is an option. That’s what I use for mine, but mine is 36x36x84
Thanks man; I would like to operate between 130F-170F as I do mostly sausage and cured meats. I just want to be sure that it actually get to that temp and hold. I am open to propane as well.

Thanks man; I would like to operate between 130F-170F as I do mostly sausage and cured meats. I just want to be sure that it actually get to that temp and hold. I am open to propane as well.
Well, do you want more set and forget? Or are you open managing the temp?

I use this

In this 3x3x7' put burner under 1/4" steel plate. Put damp hickory dust on plate.
20181108_132429.jpg 20181108_132349.jpg

Reactions: Benjamminn
I use this

In this 3x3x7' put burner under 1/4" steel plate. Put damp hickory dust on plate.
View attachment 491402 View attachment 491403
Pretty cool idea. I have a turkey fryer burner would that suffice, or would it shut off due to regulators etc? Or is there a burner you all would suggest? Sorry we are newer to this. We made sausage in our wsm but it was a pain, so we opted for a smokehouse.

That is basically what that burner is. A turkey fryer.
As mike243 mike243 said, electric would be the best heat control, but may have to go to about 1500 watt unit at least to heat that area. For precise temps, I would suggest an Auber PID (previous threads can be found in search forum). tallbm tallbm is the master of this type of setup if questions. He has helped many of us out.

Reactions: JC in GB
Reactions: JC in GB
Here is what I would use. Add a fan and you are cooking....