Need help with AMNPS

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jp71291

Original poster
Oct 14, 2019
How full so you fill the AMNPS tray when using dust? Mine keeps burning dirty even sitting outside and not inside of any unit. I’ve nuked my dust and even elevated the tray. But I’m still getting black ash after burning and not the white ash. The smell of the smoke resembles bad creosote as well. Any ideas?

Here is a picture
E5C3FDB0-38B6-4469-9134-A34DCA0525E4.jpeg

Attachments

• D8852BF5-4AAE-4646-AC4B-92162AFA35BB.jpeg
    D8852BF5-4AAE-4646-AC4B-92162AFA35BB.jpeg
    230 KB · Views: 8
I was using dust because I plan to cold smoke some bacon this weekend. No draft problem at all. It's got to be the dust but I don't understand what would be wrong with it.

I am having a similar issue myself and think we need to be using more dust and load it more. IIRC daveomak daveomak actually weighs his to ensure proper loading. He told me how much in another post but I forget. I will say that Todd's dust is much finer than mine that I grind and prefer it over my dust but I am sitting on like 50lbs pellets. I plan to experiment with making it with a wetting method to compare. I will try and report back.

That's how I fill my AMNPS... I would 3/4 fill the tube to start..
The dust needs an area for oxygen to get to it... Mine leaves a small amount of black ash... and some white like yours... Be sure you have enough air flow...
I have 3 each 7/8-1" holes in the MB mod.. The upper hole is necessary to "eliminate" recycled smoke in the MB, which is low in oxygen... smoker exhaust open for good air flow..
I use Todd's pellets... I use a mix of Cob, Pit Choice or Alder and Mesquite.. 40-40-20 respectively...

Pellet Dust 3.JPG

Results.......

HAM 005.JPG

Mailbox mod hooked up.jpg LEGS 4.jpg

I think I’ve got it figured out. My mail box had a big slot towards the back of it for mounting. I covered the hole and she’s working now. I think it was taking the draft away from the tray and pulling out of that hole so the tray didn’t have air pulling across it.

I think I’ve got it figured out. My mail box had a big slot towards the back of it for mounting. I covered the hole and she’s working now. I think it was taking the draft away from the tray and pulling out of that hole so the tray didn’t have air pulling across it.
I had a slot and several mounting holes and the two rear corners to cover with fridge magnets before gluing the outside edges.
20170911_132126.jpg

I cut a can lid in the flat botton V shape of the center Amnps row to more completely burn up all the dust or pellets to the end.
20190516_102405.jpg
20171204_115504.jpg
I put a couple pellets to block the lighting hole so dust doesn't fall out and light from underneath through the perforated steel and ontop.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky