Need help with almond gravy

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ksmith9

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 8, 2020
Hey everyone,

First I hope I posted in the right section. I have a recipe for da bomb sweet and sour sauce with a twice fried chicken( I can post tomorrow if anyone wants it). My family's other favorite Chinese recipe is almond chicken. I haven't been able to find a recipe for homemade almond gravy. Anyone have any ideas or recipes that don't have 20+ ingredients? Thanks in advance!

Hey everyone,

First I hope I posted in the right section. I have a recipe for da bomb sweet and sour sauce with a twice fried chicken( I can post tomorrow if anyone wants it). My family's other favorite Chinese recipe is almond chicken. I haven't been able to find a recipe for homemade almond gravy. Anyone have any ideas or recipes that don't have 20+ ingredients? Thanks in advance!

I had to look this up as I have never heard of Almond Gravy, but that means nothing really lol

1641386883592.png

Hope this helps and not 20+ ingredients

David

One of our favorite chinese dishes is chicken almond ding but have not done it yet but researched heavily. IMO it is likely a house white sauce BUT also the almonds in the dish are first fried in the oil used extracting some flavor as well. Hopefully we get a chance to get some stir fry threads going and can give you better info but this is my go to site for such matters and is on point with various books I have: https://thewoksoflife.com/chinese-white-sauce/

It's pointed out in the link but another heads up do NOT use typical chicken stock as it does not work well due to american flavors added like sage. You don't need a TON of authentic ingredients but you should definitely hit an asian market and pick up the basics if you expect good results. Check out out that site for more info.

Last edited:
One of ours also, yes house white sauce. They call the dish around here as " Chicken Almond Guy Ding " , nice big chunks of chicken and big veggies and lots of Almonds on top

Now I'm hungry

David
Yes, there seems to be variations of names. One key ingredient for ding that is a must and many leave out is celery. Totally non-authentic cantonese but is essential to the flavor of that one IMO. Chop suey too. From memory I think the almonds need to be boiled, skins removed then either roasted or fried.

I am VERY much looking forward to WOK some stir fry threads. :emoji_sunglasses:

Reactions: DRKsmoking
So I tried making the post Drk and Zwiller posted. The white Chinese sauce would be a great base to make a Tom Kha soup or something with lemongrass but it is too gingery for almond gravy and the almond gravy recipe tasted like a sauce you'd place over turkey to help with moisture granted I didn't have nutritional yeast so I used some miso and I had to make my own poultry seasoning. It was also very pale. I guess I'll keep on the lookout. Thanks for the suggestions though everyone. There is another recipe on YouTube I'm going to try, I will get to you with the results

Attachments

• 20220111_150210.jpg
    20220111_150210.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 17
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky