Need help to get lighter smoke flavor - Confirm which woods, and length of smoke changes?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Looks Great, Dan!!
Nice Job!
Like.
The thing that usually causes the burning pellets to jump a row in the AMNPS is if it's filled too full. The fuller it is, the closer the top pellets get from row to row.
I try to fill mine to about 3/8" from the top.

Bear

Reactions: Danabw
Looks Great, Dan!!
Nice Job!
Like.
The thing that usually causes the burning pellets to jump a row in the AMNPS is if it's filled too full. The fuller it is, the closer the top pellets get from row to row.
I try to fill mine to about 3/8" from the top.

Bear
Thanks, Bear I appreciate that.

The taste test will be later today, but based on my sampling I think she's going to be happy with this level of smoke.

yeah regarding the tray, I did overfill it. When I was looking at it when I took it out I realized I'd been a little too generous.

Man I'm glad I took your and other's advice to get the AMNPS. Now I've used it once, it feels to me like it's a must-have.

When you do your ribs I would just smoke for the first 2 hours if your looking for light smoke flavor. butts can take a lot of smoke since it only penetrates so deep and there's a lot of meat that wont have smoke in it which mellows out the smokey flavor. Just a thought

When you do your ribs I would just smoke for the first 2 hours if your looking for light smoke flavor. butts can take a lot of smoke since it only penetrates so deep and there's a lot of meat that wont have smoke in it which mellows out the smokey flavor. Just a thought
Yeah, thanks, I think that's going to be the right approach for us. Since my wife does like some smoke flavor, I think in the future I'll split the rack, and move hers to the oven, wrapped, at about 2 hours like you suggest. Then I can finish the rest of the rack for my son and I in the smoker. Best of both worlds, then. :)

That butt looks great... good job... waiting to hear the results... As for the ribs... once you wrap hers you can put them back in the smoker.. no sense in firing the oven up when you have one going already... they won't take any more smoke once wrapped ...

So yes.. now that you have the pellet tray it will be pretty much set and forget... I'm gonna say that she wont mind more smoke now that your using the tray instead of chips... much cleaner leaner thin blue smoke ...

Last edited:
Thanks, Bear I appreciate that.

The taste test will be later today, but based on my sampling I think she's going to be happy with this level of smoke.

yeah regarding the tray, I did overfill it. When I was looking at it when I took it out I realized I'd been a little too generous.

Man I'm glad I took your and other's advice to get the AMNPS. Now I've used it once, it feels to me like it's a must-have.

LOL---If Todd Johnson wouldn't have invented the various Amazing Smokers, I probably would have quit smoking meat 9 years ago!!!

Bear

Let me also suggest you get your pellets at A-MAZ-N products as well... they are all 100% flavored wood (ie. apple is all apple.. pecan is all pecan and so on)... Not like the cooking/heating pellets which are a mixture of woods... His Pitmaster Blend is excellent .. If you keep an eye out he has sales with free shipping every once in a while... that's when I stock up on different flavors...

Let me also suggest you get your pellets at A-MAZ-N products as well... they are all 100% flavored wood (ie. apple is all apple.. pecan is all pecan and so on)... Not like the cooking/heating pellets which are a mixture of woods... His Pitmaster Blend is excellent .. If you keep an eye out he has sales with free shipping every once in a while... that's when I stock up on different flavors...

Yup---^^^What Keith Said!! ^^^

Any anything but Cherry Pellets. If you want to use Cherry in an AMNPS---Use Cherry Dust---Not Pellets. I use Hickory about 90% of the time. Cherry Pellets won't stay lit.

Bear

Last edited:
My bad, we had our first meal with the pork butt last night. my son fried it up in a pan to give it some nice crisp, and we had carnitas tacos with all the toppings it was fantastic and the wife was very happy.

I am officially declaring victory. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_sunglasses::emoji_blush:

For this round. ;-}

Hopefully she'll be just as happy with the next ribs we do.

Reactions: smokerjim
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky