• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

need help picking a temp controller

gotbags-10

Smoke Blower
Joined Aug 1, 2011
So I'm trying to decide between 3 or 4 temp controllers. I'm looking at the bbq guru nano Q and the party Q. Also looking at the pitmaster IQ and one from Auber Instruments. http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_27&products_id=191

They are all similar in price. My concern is my smoker when i first fire it up will continue to climb in temp after i hit 225 as all the metal warms up inside. So it overshoots. I'm wanting a controller that is smart enough to learn this or compensate in some way. I'm afraid that if i set a controller to 225 the blower will initially get it to that temp and then shut off. But in reality it needs to ramp down at about 190-200 to let it coast up to 225 without overshooting. I hope this makes sense! Thanks for any help guys and gals

daveomak

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 12, 2010
gb, morning...   What smoker you using and what is your fuel ??? Dave

edsbbq

Joined Nov 21, 2011
i use bbq guru digique controller for my large lump burner and it does cut the air off before reaching set temp, works really well, good luck, ed

gotbags-10

Smoke Blower
Joined Aug 1, 2011
its a homebuilt smoker burning charcoal. Basically a backwoods clone.

cybergoon

Fire Starter
Joined Mar 23, 2012
So I'm trying to decide between 3 or 4 temp controllers. I'm looking at the bbq guru nano Q and the party Q. Also looking at the pitmaster IQ and one from Auber Instruments. http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_27&products_id=191

They are all similar in price. My concern is my smoker when i first fire it up will continue to climb in temp after i hit 225 as all the metal warms up inside. So it overshoots. I'm wanting a controller that is smart enough to learn this or compensate in some way. I'm afraid that if i set a controller to 225 the blower will initially get it to that temp and then shut off. But in reality it needs to ramp down at about 190-200 to let it coast up to 225 without overshooting. I hope this makes sense! Thanks for any help guys and gals
I just purchased the CyberQ WiFi temp controller. When you first fire it up, the blower will run 100%, then it gradually backs down as it approaches the set temp. From everything I have read, it normally doesn't overshoot by more than 5-6 degrees, if that much. It overshot on me on my first smoke with it, but it was because I didn't have the temp probe plugged all the way in, so it thought the temp was still around 100*. Once I got the temps under control, it performed flawlessly. I will be using it again this weekend at my mother-in-law's house to smoke some ribs and a pork shoulder.

Good luck to you!

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.