Need help from the best

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jfv316

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 15, 2016
Hey smoking gurus, I have an electric smoker that just shit the bed.. used the shit out of it for the past 4 years. Looking for opinions . Should I get another electric smoker? Should I go to propane? Thoughts and opinions. I welcome all input. Thanks all

What type of electric do you have?

In many cases they can be revived by adding a PID controller making it a better more functional smoker.

What brand / model smoker is your current electric smoker and what is it not doing for you? If you enjoyed using it, why not just replace or repair it? Yes, what have you been smoking and what were your plans for future smoking?

What brand / model smoker is your current electric smoker and what is it not doing for you? If you enjoyed using it, why not just replace or repair it? Yes, what have you been smoking and what were your plans for future smoking?
Master built electric.. digital reader for temp/time is just about blank from burnout. Side feeder handle is broken, and the heating mechanism isn’t heating properly

What others have said, what is the issue ? Controller, element, other ?
tallbm tallbm , or dr k dr k , can walk you through it if want to make an electric, set it and forget it.

PID, Amazen tray and a new heating element will probably cure all those issues for less than you could buy a new smoker

What others have said, what is the issue ? Controller, element, other ?
tallbm tallbm , or dr k dr k , can walk you through it if want to make an electric, set it and forget it.
Digital reader for temp/time is unreadable. Heating element isn’t heating to temp, and handle on the side feeder is worn and hanging on for dear life lol

If you want to do some mods and make it a great smoker, a PID, smoke tube/mailbox mod and you would be set.

This eliminates your control panel.

If you have enjoyed using your electric smoker for Ribs, Butts, Chicken and wish your smoker would come back to life, then Yup to the above mods. Auber PID + Mailbox mod.

Digital reader for temp/time is unreadable. Heating element isn’t heating to temp, and handle on the side feeder is worn and hanging on for dear life lol

Hi there and welcome!

I'm fairly positive your smoke can be easily repaired and improved.

#1 issue for an MES failure seems to be that the electrical spade connectors on the wires corrode away, this may be happening to you. It happens at the heating element and at the safety rollout limit switch that is halfway up the back of the smoker (smoke smokers have compartment for it some dont; it looks like a coin button when looking inside the smoker back wall)

#2 issue is the controller on top craps the bed on ya (sounds like yours is on it's last legs).

I would highly recommend you get an Auber PID controller (PID stands for Proportional - Integral - Derivative and that is technical speak for 3 programable values to control temperatures hahaha).

The Auber PID controller cost a little money but is less then a new MES smoker AND with a simple smoker rewire (cut 4 wire ends, splice to make 2 wires) you can use the PID controller and your smoker will perform 20X better than any new MES ever could. This controller will hold your temps within 1 degree if not dead on the entire time.... no more temp swings and no ruining sausage or bacon smokes anymore :)

First thing u need to do is to check and see if the connectors have corroded off and if so you will have to replace them anyways with these high temp connectors:

Let us know if you need more info on checking the connectors or on going to a PID setup :)

Hi there and welcome!

I'm fairly positive your smoke can be easily repaired and improved.

#1 issue for an MES failure seems to be that the electrical spade connectors on the wires corrode away, this may be happening to you. It happens at the heating element and at the safety rollout limit switch that is halfway up the back of the smoker (smoke smokers have compartment for it some dont; it looks like a coin button when looking inside the smoker back wall)

#2 issue is the controller on top craps the bed on ya (sounds like yours is on it's last legs).

I would highly recommend you get an Auber PID controller (PID stands for Proportional - Integral - Derivative and that is technical speak for 3 programable values to control temperatures hahaha).

The Auber PID controller cost a little money but is less then a new MES smoker AND with a simple smoker rewire (cut 4 wire ends, splice to make 2 wires) you can use the PID controller and your smoker will perform 20X better than any new MES ever could. This controller will hold your temps within 1 degree if not dead on the entire time.... no more temp swings and no ruining sausage or bacon smokes anymore :)

First thing u need to do is to check and see if the connectors have corroded off and if so you will have to replace them anyways with these high temp connectors:

Let us know if you need more info on checking the connectors or on going to a PID setup :)
Thank you so much

Reactions: tallbm
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky