Need help buying a meat Grinder

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pureevil

Original poster
Nov 24, 2013
Hello all,

I'm new to the forums and had a question for all of you, figured your the experts on meat so it should be a good place to start.

First off, a comment:

the "Smoking Supplies & Equipment" area should have a topic for all other equipment... for questions like this one (unless I missed this Topic somewhere)

Info on me:

I am 31, from Michigan but living (in a camper) and working in North Dakota as a truck driver in the oil fields. I am single and will mainly be using this grinder for myself to make 3-10lbs of burger or sausage at a time. I do plan to start making all my own burger once I get the hang of it.

Now the Question(s):

I am looking into getting a Meat Grinder, mainly to make burger and sausage from Venison mixed with beef and/or pork . I have never bought one, but have used some in the past (think my dad has a #5 one from gander mountain which seemed to work good)

Questions:

1. What does the "#5, #8, #12 etc..." thing mean, I see them with these numbers but have no clue what it stands for

2. How important is HP? Is bigger always better?

3. I see a lot of them have plastic gears and I have seen these strip out before on cheap grinders. Should I try to find one with metal gears or are the plastic ones normally fine?

4. I plan on looking in the $70  - $120 range (online price), is this realistic for a decent one?

5. I only want to buy this 1 time, So I would prefer to go bigger then I need. I would rather have way to much power then not enough.(I know its not a question) =P

6. I have seen some good prices on "SunMile" grinders has anyone used them?

I am sure that I have forgotten some things so please feel free to add any questions or comments that might help with this.

Any help, links, tips are welcome here... I am hoping to buy one this week so I can get grinding some deer.

Thank you in advance,

Matt
[h2]  [/h2]

Last edited:
Come on guys, nobody has any tips for me? I rarely get a day off out here and was hoping to order one today.

Questions:

1. What does the "#5, #8, #12 etc..." thing mean, I see them with these numbers but have no clue what it stands for

2. How important is HP? Is bigger always better?

3. I see a lot of them have plastic gears and I have seen these strip out before on cheap grinders. Should I try to find one with metal gears or are the plastic ones normally fine?

4. I plan on looking in the $70  - $120 range (online price), is this realistic for a decent one?

5. I only want to buy this 1 time, So I would prefer to go bigger then I need. I would rather have way to much power then not enough.(I know its not a question) =P

6. I have seen some good prices on "SunMile" grinders has anyone used them?
[h2]  [/h2]

ok cool, all good tips. What did you pay for your new grinder? and what was your old grinder and did you like it?

There is only ONE Grinder in your price range that will easily handle the volume of meat you wish to grind and also has metal gears...It is the Kitchener #12. Current best price is on Amazon. I do believe that Sunmile is a Chinese manufacturer that makes grinders for various companies that are all basically the same with different logos. My understanding is the Kitchener #12 is manufactured by Sunline. Search them out  for comparison...JJ

I would also recommend looking at the Kitchener #12 for your price range. It will grind 3-10 lbs. in a matter of minutes. I just purchased the Tasin TS-108, which is similar but has 3 plates, rather than 2, and it costs about $50 more. Both nice appliances for the home user.

Noshrimp

ok cool, all good tips. What did you pay for your new grinder? and what was your old grinder and did you like it?
We bought a #42 - but we process A LOT of meat... My husband and I, and his sons are all hunters, my parents have a buffalo ranch, and we do a huge sausagefest with our friends and family and they all come over and use our equipment every year.  It is nothing for us to grind 400 # in one shot, and during our weekend of deer processing more than 1000 #.    Our old grinder was a manual #32 that my husband converted into an electric. 

Wow!  For only 3 to 10 lbs?

You could easily get by with a low watt #8.  I would go to a little more powerful #12 in case you want to do a little bigger batches in the future.

For such small batches?  $100 to $120 is very workable.

You start doing whole deer?  Disregard everything I have said and go back to square one?

Good luck and good smoking.

There is only ONE Grinder in your price range that will easily handle the volume of meat you wish to grind and also has metal gears...It is the Kitchener #12. Current best price is on Amazon. I do believe that Sunmile is a Chinese manufacturer that makes grinders for various companies that are all basically the same with different logos. My understanding is the Kitchener #12 is manufactured by Sunline. Search them out  for comparison...JJ

Just bought the Kitchener #12 one a few weeks ago. Got it from a "northern" web site that sells "tools"......

Last edited:
This is harder then I thought lmao, I tend to be a somewhat "impulse" buyer and I'am trying not to do that on this purchase. But they all look about the same to me so its really hard to judge which are junk and which are decent.

I hate it when things are hard.....

Well I tried to buy the one from northern tools but I cant, they wont ship to a PO Box and I have no other address to ship to... This sucks

I'm leaning towards the LEM #5 for a few reasons. All Stainless steel auger and blades, the name, others who own LEM, and I know I will be using it more once I get the hang of making sausage and burgers. It's on sale now at Fleet Farm for $199, a bit more than your price range but for all SS and the room to expand the small quantities you are planning on starting with. You won't have to replace it in a year or less.

Have you tested it, and do you like it?

Unfortunately I have not had a chance to play with it yet. All kids of unexpected issues have come up and Father In Law has not taken a deer yet........

My daughter wants to make glazed doughnut, bacon cheese burgers, so I think we will try and grind our own hamburger meat for it. Wife wants chili too, so I might be able to slightly break it in over the weekend.......

I purchased the one I got due to price, size and recommendations from trusted friends and members on SMF. If we burn it out I will be able to tell the FIL that we need a bigger one and we need to convert part of his shop into a meat processing room that is chilled :biggrin:

Well I tried to buy the one from northern tools but I cant, they wont ship to a PO Box and I have no other address to ship to... This sucks

Have it shipped to the bosses office.... I have the Kitchener #12 and it is a good grinder... I like the reversing option.... be sure to get some food grade grease for it.... I use Petrol-Gel Lubricant, 4 oz Tube.... available at Amazon.... The grinder is also available at Amazon for $99.....
You may find buying larger quantities of beef roasts, on sale, and making your own ground beef is a good deal.... I grind my own burger so I know what I'm getting .... Ground chuck makes an awesome burger.... or tacos, or spaghetti sauce... etc.... or bratwurst..... then there's pork for breakfast sausage..... Once you get into this, the prospects are endless.....

Dave

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky