Need assistance

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Matt champagne

Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
This last summer I bought a masterbuilt thermotemp propane smoker at lowes because it was on clearance with a price I couldn't pass up. For next summer I really want to step my game up and looking for a new better rig because from what i understand the thin metal on this one isnt very good. Just looking for advice on what smoker is good quality. All google searches bring me to lowes walmart

You will need to say what style of cooking you want to do,electric gas pellet charcoal stick ect good luck picking just 1 lol

Id like to stick to propane heard it gives a better smoke taste then electric but has the ease of set it and walk away

Id like to stick to propane heard it gives a better smoke taste then electric but has the ease of set it and walk away

I have been having good results with my Broil King Smoke for the last 2 years. It is a similar design to your masterbuilt, but it is double walled which helps insulate it. I get very steady temperatures, it isn't much affected by the wind, and I have been able to use it reliably down to 0*f in the winter.

This year I will be making some kind of insulating cover it and I'm pretty sure I will be able to use it when it is -15*f out (which isn't rare out here)

Mind you, the metal on my smoker probably isn't any thicker than on yours. The difference is the fact that it is double walled

20190326_131237.jpg
20190326_131243.jpg
20190326_131243.jpg

Hi I am new to this thread and not sure if Im in the right thred. I need help. I have a mastebuilt propane smoker and Im getting black smoke or soot on my fishes. I smoke fish and the first few months of me smkking the fish I started noticing it is getting black and black until now it is almost all black. I need help. What am I doing wrong? I use soaked hickory chips. And my temp is consistent on 200 210 degrees and I smoke them for an 1hr. Any tips would help. Thank you

I have never had this problem. But, looking at how your grill is loaded, you might impeding air circulation. Try leaving more space between the fish, use more than one grate if you have to. If the air in the smoker doesn't circulate properly it can cause some strange results.

How are you using the vents on your cooker? A beginner mistake is to think you need to close them to trap the smoke inside (that's what I though). But actually, you want the top vent open so that air can circulate through the cooking chamber. Smoke that is stuck in the chamber can cause creosote and soot.

Also, I find that wood chips unpredictable and hard to control. I recommend you try using something like the A-Maze-N smoke generators. They use pellets and give you way more control over the quantity and quality of your smoke. With proper air circulation and good quality smoker, there is no reason you should be getting soot.

Benny, welcome.... First, it looks like your fish was wet and cold... All meat should be dry and above ambient temperature when smoke is applied...
Second, check the burner venturi to see if spider webs are plugging off the air flow... Low air will cause a yellow flame... You want a blue flame.... Remove the burner and wash it very well on the inside....

... Propane Venturi.png .... PROPANE venturi_burner.png

Benny, welcome.... First, it looks like your fish was wet and cold... All meat should be dry and above ambient temperature when smoke is applied...
Second, check the burner venturi to see if spider webs are plugging off the air flow... Low air will cause a yellow flame... You want a blue flame.... Remove the burner and wash it very well on the inside....

...View attachment 391621.... View attachment 391622

Good idea. That could definitely cause soot

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky