Need an assist for a smoker purchase

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dave in indiana

Original poster
Mar 24, 2013
I currently don't have a smoker. I have a 22 inch Weber and I use my kitchen stove. I like to make venison snack sticks, summer sausage, and jerky - but would probably venture out to other smoked meats if I had better equipment.

With snack sticks I need to start off at low temps - like 120 degrees F. and I'm not sure there's a smoker out there that goes that low without a mod or vent adjustment.

So, with a budget of around $500 what would you suggest?

I only posted this in the electric smoker section because it seems to get the most activity, but not opposed to charcoal or gas. I am currently looking at the camp chef XXL WIFI Vertical Smoker and/or the masterbuilt models. But, the reviews are all over the board. I realize this is like, which is better? Chevy or Ford - but any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Reactions: JLeonard
Welcome to the boards. Lots of guys here love their elec smokers. I'm sure you will have a TON of suggestions soon.
Jim

there is not another smoker that will run low temps like the electric smokers and look at the temp range close, my MES is a first generation and it will run 100-275 , have read others have temps up to 375.

Reactions: jcam222
MES is a sausage machine. I think Cabela's might still be running a sale on it for $139.

I have quite a collection of smokers but if I wanted to focus just on low temp smoking for sausage, jerky , bacon etc an MES would be my choice and you will get in way under $500. Note they also sell a cold smoke attachment that allows you to smoke with no heat in the chamber.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky