need advice on my build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bubba mcnabb

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Feb 10, 2014
I started building a smoker and now I'm stumped on were to put my stack and how far down to have it in my tank any advice is greatly appreciated.
GALLERY]

I got 4" pipe going from my fire box and got 3/4" holes every 3 or 4 inches and dampner on the end

I would be worried about the firebox pipe, I honestly don't think you will get much heat through there for that chamber.

But as far as the stack goes, I always suggest to folks to drop it an inch or two if coming from the top, you can always use an adjustable piece of flashing inside if you want to drop it further.

Also 4" seems small can you go 5"?

Wait for Ribwhizzard to chime in, the man knows his stuff!

I don't think you will get any draw through that pipe, sorry to seem negative, but you may need to make some changes.

The inlet from FB-CC seems small to me and i dont know itll draft correctly.

For the exhaust stack ive always tended to have a better when the stack is flush with inside when mounting to the top or back. When mounting on the side i always build an angled box for it and in my cases it helpw with draft cause its not having to make a 90 degree turn from inside pit to up the stack.

Ok thanks. I'll have to measure when I get home. Don't worry about the negativity I've just kind of been throwing this together with stuff laying around the house and winging it lol

We're here to help and im all about people stepping outside the box with their builds. It makes it their own ya know. But with dimensions we can get you some solid numbers to go off of.

Would 4" pipe be good for my stack size also?

Last edited:
Would 4" pipe be good for my stack size also?
from the looks of your chamber I wiould go 5", but before you go any further, have you referred to the pit calculator?  There's a link in my signature, I would do your calculations and post them here for some advice before you go any further, more pics too, especially of that firebox.

You got me lost on the last part of your post. CrazyQ. You talking about length of cooking chamber? Bc thats about 56" between the caps?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky