need advice - leaky firebox

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

netspyder

Meat Mopper
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 18, 2022
Collinsville, IL
well, i bought some lavalock gaskets and put them on the thing. afterwards, i noticed on the firebox that there's a 1/8" gap at the top of the firebox lid. on my old one, i could just bend it into shape while it was cool, but this is 1/4" steel - i'm not sure if i have enough oomph to bend this. looking for advice or tips. i thought about maybe putting some cinder blocks on it during my next cook... maybe if i rip out the gasket at the front & back?
Untitled.jpg

1676933898959.jpeg

Reactions: JLeonard
Was it that far off pre-gasket ?
Did you put gasket on the hinged side ?

I've seen where gasket was used along the hinged side and being to thick... The door hitting there and not letting the door fully close... creating a bigger gap at the opened end ...

Personally I wouldn’t worry about it unless you think it’s causing a problem with heat control.

With the small leak at the top of the door, and it’s small, this air will only serve to push heat from the FB to the CC and really should not effect the fire itself. Lots of smokers have a vent in the door high at CC level just to move hot air in.

Here is what I would recommend if you want to keep it tight.
Toggle Clamp.PNG

Just bolt or screw a toggle clamp at the "mid-point" of the gap. I have these on both of my RF smoker CC lids and they work great. This vertical type will work on the far side on your FB but you may need to get a different configuration on the CC side because of the reduced space. If there isn't room for that side you could screw a underside flange from some low carbon sheet metal, Ie create an "s-shaped" metal sandwich like below.....
flange.PNG

well, i bought some lavalock gaskets and put them on the thing. afterwards, i noticed on the firebox that there's a 1/8" gap at the top of the firebox lid. on my old one, i could just bend it into shape while it was cool, but this is 1/4" steel - i'm not sure if i have enough oomph to bend this. looking for advice or tips. i thought about maybe putting some cinder blocks on it during my next cook... maybe if i rip out the gasket at the front & back?
View attachment 658271
View attachment 658272
I have the exact same smoker and here is what I tried on mine. The gap on mine was down below where the handle is. Yesterday I built a huge, I mean huge fire in the firebox and with the lid closed I used a ratcheting com-a-long to force the lid tight. I kept stoking the fire for a couple hours thinking the metal would bend and then when it cooled it would be back with a tight fit. Well, this morning I release the pressure on the cable, and it just sprung back just like I was before. So, I will be watching this thread to see what others say.... quite a coincidence I did this yesterday and here is your thread today I just saw, along with the same pit.

HT

Reactions: JLeonard
I have an OC Pecos and went down this road when I first got it.
I did notice when I put the gasket along the top it opened up the gap on the sides.
After awhile the gasket fell off and now I really don't worry about it at all.
The main thing to worry about is the end result and can you make good bbq on it.
Somebody on here once said it's a smoker not an oven don't worry about sealing it up tight

I would consider removing the new gasket tape if you can - which likely caused or widened the gap. Otherwise, I think I would just leave it. MHO Good luck

Pull your old gasket off. Clean the firebox off really well, then run a bead of red RTV high temp silicone around the opening. Cover the RTV bead with plastic wrap and close the lid. You may need a light weight to form a good seal. Let it cure per directions.

I have an OC Pecos and went down this road when I first got it.
I did notice when I put the gasket along the top it opened up the gap on the sides.
After awhile the gasket fell off and now I really don't worry about it at all.
The main thing to worry about is the end result and can you make good bbq on it.
Somebody on here once said it's a smoker not an oven don't worry about sealing it up tight
that's the problem, though... i can't control the temps because (i think) it leaks so much. it's either 235 or 300 (or higher - ran it at 425 for some hours to season it, but that was with everything wide open), nothing in between.

i also reached out to the old country folks to see if they had any tips.

Looking at the picture again... The square door on the end (with the intake vent) is that 1/8'' gap around that door sealed in any way ?

Like DougE DougE said if you can keep it in that range (235-300) don't sweat it.
Once you get a good feel of how your new smoker runs you can dial that in a little tighter.

For the temperature operations, try this: Start with a starter full of coals and once fully engaged pour them over another 1/2 or full starter number of unlit coals in the FB (you will need to experiment with the right amount)....IE get a very healthy bed of coals, next add splits that are 2-3 inches and only add 1 or two as well as 2-4 of unlit coals as you go. This will keep a base heat to normalize your temp to have a little less bounce, however a 50 to 75 degree bounce is perfectly normal and nothing to worry about....

Pull your old gasket off. Clean the firebox off really well, then run a bead of red RTV high temp silicone around the opening. Cover the RTV bead with plastic wrap and close the lid. You may need a light weight to form a good seal. Let it cure per directions.
i'll have to try this... i think i may try to bend it into shape first...

so... i also tried to bend the firebox into shape with a 2x4 spacer and a ratchet strap. no luck. no movement at all on the curve of the lid. ordered some red rtv gasket maker. will post pics of how it turns out.

so... i also tried to bend the firebox into shape with a 2x4 spacer and a ratchet strap. no luck. no movement at all on the curve of the lid. ordered some red rtv gasket maker. will post pics of how it turns out.
oh - also - no response at all from old country bbq on my request.

well, second cook since i put the felt gasket on, and it seems to be holding temps better and i'm better able to control it. i like to think the gasket on the main chamber is mostly responsible, and not that i'm just learning the new cooker. have not tried the gasket maker yet, but i do have a tube of it. been too cold for it to cure.

23 degrees out. ugh.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky