Need advice for the first time trimming brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Zptwin

Original poster
Jan 23, 2023
This was a prime-grade brisket from Sam's Club.

First time getting a brisket. I get it home, start trimming, and notice that a MASSIVE piece of hard fat goes deep into the brisket. From the tutorials, I've seen no ones, brisket looks like this.

Also, there is hardly any fat on the bottom of the cut. I am very confused about how I should proceed.

Reactions: JLeonard
Welcome. That large fat pocket is on most Briskets. I carve as mush of it out as I can. I'd like to see the bottom, there should be some fat that needs trimming. Recommended is leave 1/4" of fat. I made a Prime Brisket a few years ago, and I found it actually dryer than Choice. Make sure you show the finished product.

Reactions: JLeonard and Zptwin
Right, as MJB05615 MJB05615 stated, it is on every brisket. Suggest a good boning knife to carefully trim it out leaving a 1/4" like he said. It's okay if you "scalp" a bit of it. It will be fine.

Yes, pics when done.

Reactions: JLeonard
Welcome. That large fat pocket is on most Briskets. I carve as mush of it out as I can. I'd like to see the bottom, there should be some fat that needs trimming. Recommended is leave 1/4" of fat. I made a Prime Brisket a few years ago, and I found it actually dryer than Choice. Make sure you show the finished product.
The bottom was pretty good I thought. I cut the thick stuff really well. And cleaned it up a bit more than pictured.

Attachments

• 20230123_235646.jpg
    20230123_235646.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 17
This is about the same view as in your last picture . You can see I got rid of most of that hard fat . It doesn't render out like said above .
1674563024124.jpeg

Reactions: MJB05615
A brisket I did a few months ago, I guess. As you can see, I try to get as much of that subcutaneous fat off as possible. As stated, 1/4" is good.

IMG_0991.JPG

A slice of that brisket.

IMG_1006.JPG

More than a few well known BBQ joints don't trim briskets AT ALL before cooking.
Some don't even apply salt and/or pepper and just rely on smoke for flavor.
I've over trimmed them and left the fat on for others and I like the fat left on these days.
Once cooked, it comes right off, or can be enjoyed for those who like it.

I have gravitated towards trimming very little. I will take some of the hard cap off and that it. If I want to trim that inner pocket I can do so after it’s cooked and I separate the flat and point. May just be me but since I’ve stopped trimming so much my results seem better.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky