Need a recipe App

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
You might do well to keep a paper copy of your most prized recipes. I keep a lot of stuff in apps, stored on PC, etc, but nothing beats a paper copy if it all goes south.

Reactions: mhein68
You might do well to keep a paper copy of your most prized recipes. I keep a lot of stuff in apps, stored on PC, etc, but nothing beats a paper copy if it all goes south.
All mine are in Excel spreadsheets.
Not a problem for me having all in electronics.
Data gets replicated to other servers, and also have copies in a safe. :emoji_laughing:

I just write it down on paper and keep it in a book. I wish I saved my mom's cook book when we cleaned her house out to sell it after she passed away in 2001. Legit Betty crocker hard cover (red) from the 80's. She had lots of recipes from the years on paper in there.

Last edited:
Reactions: 912smoker
While an old thread, the topic is always current. All my recipes are kept in MacGourmet. I also maintain full smoking notes within each of the recipes. Nice addition is it sync's to the app on my phone so all are up to date and readily accessible. Pretty handy when you're at the grocery, on a whim decide to change plans and need to know ingredients.

Thread has been around the block a few times but still worth it... I'll have to check some of these out.

Ryan

I think someone above mentioned OneNote, but here is a bit more information.
  • Totally free from Microsoft and you can organize it any way you like (first image below)
  • Installs on PCs, phones, pads, etc.
  • Your OneNote file is kept on the MS servers. There is a single file that you share with anyone you like (I share my file with the wife)
  • You can manually type recipes, take screenshots and past them into a new recipe entry. Basically you start with a blank page and it works much like your word processor. I made a recipe template so I don't start from scratch each time.
  • I created a shopping list ordered by the stores I visit. The app automatically live updates on everyone's device. For example I can be checking items on the list(s) at home on my PC or phone, and the check marks automatically change on my wife's phone in real time. (second image). This feature alone has saved my bacon when she is out shopping and we need different items for dinner.
  • Any kind of list is possible. For instance, I have a packing list for RV trips, Home improvement parts lists, etc.
Now the downside: It is literally like a blank slate, much like a word processor, so there is a learning curve regarding becoming proficient with the program. In my opinion (and many others) OneNote is the best application Microsoft has ever made, and it is free. OneNote is probably the best for those willing to learn a new app.

This is my recipe notebook. It is organized (from left to right) by recipe category, then recipe list, then the recipe itself:
onenote1.jpg

My Winco shopping list as an example:
onenote2.jpg

All mine are in Excel spreadsheets.
Not a problem for me having all in electronics.
Data gets replicated to other servers, and also have copies in a safe. :emoji_laughing:
Think neutron bombs ......... all electronics wiped out unless in a Faraday cage.

I think someone above mentioned OneNote, but here is a bit more information.
  • Totally free from Microsoft and you can organize it any way you like (first image below)
  • Installs on PCs, phones, pads, etc.
  • Your OneNote file is kept on the MS servers. There is a single file that you share with anyone you like (I share my file with the wife)
  • You can manually type recipes, take screenshots and past them into a new recipe entry. Basically you start with a blank page and it works much like your word processor. I made a recipe template so I don't start from scratch each time.
  • I created a shopping list ordered by the stores I visit. The app automatically live updates on everyone's device. For example I can be checking items on the list(s) at home on my PC or phone, and the check marks automatically change on my wife's phone in real time. (second image). This feature alone has saved my bacon when she is out shopping and we need different items for dinner.
  • Any kind of list is possible. For instance, I have a packing list for RV trips, Home improvement parts lists, etc.
Now the downside: It is literally like a blank slate, much like a word processor, so there is a learning curve regarding becoming proficient with the program. In my opinion (and many others) OneNote is the best application Microsoft has ever made, and it is free. OneNote is probably the best for those willing to learn a new app.

This is my recipe notebook. It is organized (from left to right) by recipe category, then recipe list, then the recipe itself:
View attachment 670429

My Winco shopping list as an example:
View attachment 670430
Looks good! Is there a lesson site?? Or just poke around?

Looks good! Is there a lesson site?? Or just poke around?
There is a reasonable YouTube video that covers the main points. You can also Google search for something like "using OneNote for recipes" resulting in a list from which you can choose what suits you. Lastly, I'd be glad to help if you have specific questions. As I mentioned, there is a rather steep learning curve to master all the nuances.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky